1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Would you have kept it?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by sportswriter not a junky, Dec 7, 2006.

1. DocTalk

DocTalk Active Member

A person does what is right because it makes one feel whole

2. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Right is right even if nobody is right, and wrong is wrong even if everybody is wrong.
    — St. Augustine

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Yes. You did right.

4. John

John Well-Known Member

Yes. When I was 16 I turned into a hotel front desk $120 in twenties I found on the floor in the lobby.

5. You are most definitely in the right. ... No reason to sell your self-respect for $10.

6. djc3317

djc3317 Guest

funny you should mention that. me and my roommate ordered a pizza special from pizza hut tonight and they (I think) accidentally gave us an extra large pepperoni. not only did we not return it, we hustled to the car before they could figure out they gave us a free pizza.

it tasted even better because it was free.

7. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

That's different. Someone won't get in trouble because of that.

8. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

A few months back, I got to the window at a drive-thru, only to discover I had left my wallet home. I told the guy at the window and he insisted I take the food anyway and come back another time and pay. I went back home (instead of to the office where I was headed), ate and returned with my money. The guy told me I didn't have to come back, that he couldn't believe I did, etc. I thought it was really nice of him to just let me take the food without paying -- I would have felt terrible if I hadn't paid.

9. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

And now you know why the Monterey Chicken Ranch sandwich is no longer offered.

10. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Look, people who run cash registers for a living -- or for meth money or beer or itunes tracks -- get fired if their register comes up short. It's a fact. So you absolutely were right to take it back to the store. Because while your self respect is certainly worth more than $10, her job probably isn't. If they have any iota of a notion that she's stealing, she's gone.

On the flip side, I was flabbergasted six or eight months ago when I was checking out in a department store and when it came time to pay I realized I didn't have my wallet. The girl in line behind me offered to pay for my stuff -- it was like $27 worth of nonessential items -- and she just said, here, let me. I couldn't believe it. I didn't take her up on it, because frankly, that's too much money. Just pushed my stuff to the side and ran out to the car and got my wallet. She was coming out as I went back in and I made sure I told her how nice that was. Because it's an ugly world..

11. The Basement

The Basement Member

And Sammy Sosa has been forever grateful...

it's like Seinfeld - "even steven"
    I once stopped for gas and then drove off - realizing a half hour later i didn't pay. i returned.
    found $15 in change in the "do it yourself checkout" lane at Tony Stewart's store ... turned that in too...

then, as a non-resident getting into an aquarium I was not charged for two adult tickets despite standing there waiting to pay. she just gave me the tickets and then said "next" - value $40
    i did take that one...

12. mannheimadler

mannheimadler Member

One time I bought more than $60 in groceries and for some reason checked the receipt in the parking lot. I realized the cashier hadn't rung me up for an onion ... So I went back in and paid for it.

I'm not saying this to pat myself on the back. I just want to say that I think most people would think that was stupid. But I think honesty is always the right thing, no matter how trivial or minor it would seem.

So I think you definitely did the right thing.

Draft saved Draft deleted