1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Would You Eat Horse Meat?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by YankeeFan, Dec 1, 2011.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

And I thought Gee grew up working class.

Who knew he was at language camp in Switzerland with John Kerry?

2. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

The United States is one of the few countries - if not the only one - where horse meat is not part of the human menu. This funding was cut following complaints by animal rights groups. It was an easy mark because horses are sympathetic animals. But the ban has had the opposite effect. Horses that would otherwise slaughtered are shipped to Canada and Mexico. In Mexico, the standards for animal husbandry are not, shall we say, as enlightened as they are in the U.S., and the horses endure more suffering than they would have had they been slaughtered in the U.S.

3. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

I had some incredible rabbit in NOLA a couple of months back. Then I finished the trip off with boudin-stuffed quail at Commander's Palace...there are no words.

4. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I find horse is a good middle-ground entree when my vegetarian friends come to my house for dinner.

I tell them it's tempeh.

5. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Hell, I've eaten pigeon breast (and it was quite tasty) so I'd have no problem trying horse meat. And if it was good, I'd have it again.

Hell, pork, bacon and ham come from a pig and they're three of the best things ever.

Draft saved Draft deleted