1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Would you decline an interview opportunity?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BB Bobcat, Jan 9, 2008.

1. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Ok. I see your point about being a little obnoxious.
    But, sometimes I can't help myself.

And, yes, people do walk at the mall...It's usually a monitored group. Patients, rehab and socials. That kind of thing.

2. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

I love how people get on here, START threads that post a question and then get upset at us when they don't like the answers.

Why did you post this question? To name drop or get get honest responses? You knew the answer to this before you posted and much like you feel about the PR department -- you have wasted OUR time.

Before firing off a thread starter, take a deep breath and think.

3. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Think about it this way bb, these guys probably aren't all that fired up to go talk to reporters in January, when they have loads of other things they want to do. They're giving up their time now. In June, they'd be giving up their employer's time. If they're making themselves available, you better by-god be there. To not go would be incredibly insensitive. Right-wing, even.

As for the flack sitting at the table, politely tell him to get lost. MLB players are big boys. They should be able to handle interviews on their own unless they don't speak English.

4. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

I hope my words weren't misconstrued: You never, ever, decline. The day before the Stanley Cup final in 95, the NHL set up an availability with a Detroit player--the league p.r. types didn't specify the player in question. Turned out to be Steve Yzerman. I showed up and one other reporter, maybe it was Joe Lapointe at the NYT. I can't even remember if I got a usuable quote (Yzerman's famously cautious) but sheesh, you gotta try (and not just go through the motions either). I am amazed that this is even up for discussion among professionals. I'd be sorely tempted to fail one of my students just for asking this question. If you're incurious, you're not a journalist (though you might become president).

YD&OHS, etc

5. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

So are you saying you'd go to every Little League Field dedication and hospital visit attended by a player, too?

6. friend of the friendless

Mr Bobcat,

When you're too big to go, let me know, Bigfoot.

YHS, etc

7. Why do you insist on saying this is PR-driven coverage? Is there a promise of a story to come out of this interview opportunity? Why can't you take it for what it is, which is a chance to network with a player, lay the groundwork for a future story and a chance for an informal conversation with someone you'll be spending the next six months with?

8. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

I don't understand what's so hard about this.

Any time you get face time with a newsmaker (at the level of a major league player), you do it.

9. VetBroMan

VetBroMan New Member

Dumb question. Dedication and hustle makes a difference in a career -- that is, if you want a career in journalism.

10. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

It's NOT PR-driven beat coverage. The PR guy is inviting you to come talk to the player, not dictating your story. You decide if you get a story out of it. You could find any number of enterprise angles ... some good ones have been suggested in this thread. Maybe the guy was injured in offseason workouts and the team never announced it. Maybe one of his old workout buddies was named in the Mitchell Report. Maybe he has a funny story about his family trip to Hawaii. Maybe the player gives you nothing good now, but he remembers that you were there and in June, he's comfortable telling you what happened in that closed-door meeting. Maybe the player is useless, but the marketing guy is there and tells you about the new all-you-can-eat section they're about to announce. Maybe there's some stadium construction no one had heard about. Maybe the PR guy gives you a sneak peek at the upcoming ad campaign.

Or, maybe, when the PR guy has some actual news, he'll give it to the guys who were there in January.

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Assuming all in his posts is true, the guy has a major league baseball beat. So he has a career in journalism.

Still, it was kind of a silly question. I get where it was coming from, but you have to go.

You also have to ask the PR guy to buzz off when you are doing an interview. Just because he set up the interview doesn't mean he gets to be a part of it.

12. friend of the friendless

Sirs, Madames,

The example I cited: The two of us who showed up for this league p.r. effort spent as much time talking to the league p.r. man as the no-quote Hall of Famer. The league p.r. guy said he was going to not bother with these sessions if our brethren was going to ignore them. We talked him out of blowing up the effort--god knows there might be slow news days down the line or maybe the hard feelings would carry over to a day when he might be the conduit to someone all of us wanted to talk to. Bottom line: P.R. cuts both ways ... you have to do things you'd prefer not to, smile rather than grimace and try to find something others will miss. Plus, if you make a p.r. guy feel small, he might return the favour when you need him.

Just etiquette.

YD&OHS, etc

Draft saved Draft deleted