1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Would you decline an interview opportunity?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BB Bobcat, Jan 9, 2008.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Fishwrapper will encourage his employees to join the weight-loss contest here.

2. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

I just saw that on the Anything Goes board.
    Funny.

3. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

I just don't understand the concept of not showing up because it will be probably canned quotes, rookies and middle relievers.

Maybe, if you have some balls, you start asking middle relievers about HGH. Or rookies, if they think the strict drug testing in the minors at all curbed the PED usage. How about that?

Instead you want to fucking speed-walk at the fucking mall?

Man, I don't get it sometimes.

4. Clemenza to Paulie -- "Take a walk around the neighborhood -- DO YOUR JOB!"

5. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

yeah, none of those guys will ever, ever be worthwhile sources. I'd definitely blow off all of the dog-and-pony show interviews.
    again, how did you get this beat?

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

While I think some of the responses here have been a bit obnoxious, I agree with the overall sentiment that you have to go. Even if you get nothing useful out of it, you go. Not even a doubt about it.

7. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

OK, OK, you guys win.

Like I said, I was planning go all along, but I wondered if maybe I could find someone here to say: "Don't buy into this PR-driven beat coverage. Be your own man." I'm sure I'll get something out of this.

Let me change the subject slightly. When I did the interview yesterday (which was with a new player, so it was helpful and welcome), the PR guy sat there right at the table with the two of us the whole time.

I would have rather he not be there, just because you never know what a player might be reluctant to say around a team employee, but I didn't think it was my place to tell him to scram since he's the one who invited me for the interview in the first place.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Give him a quarter and tell him to go buy himself a popsicle.

Or tell him to make like a tree and get out of there.

9. Wait, wait, wait. People actually speed-walk at the mall? Is that like a suburban thing cause I never saw that living in a big city.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

In cities, people walk in the city, Prince.

I suburbs, the mall is a poor reproduction of a city, but the best they got.

11. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Sometimes a mall is safer than the streets. Sometimes.

12. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I defeinitely agree with this. You never know when it's going to become important to have some kind of relationship with certain players.

Draft saved Draft deleted