1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Would you cross a picket line?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Frank_Ridgeway, Jul 6, 2008.

1. Overrated

Overrated Guest

Well, it's Detroit. I wouldn't cross a picket line in Detroit.

2. Remember, truck drivers and presspeople can be part of the strike. I couldn't find the photo online, but I remember seeing a picture in Ben Bradlee's book of a striker with a sign that says, "Phil killed the wrong Graham."

Strikes make people absolutely outrageous.

3. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

No, but you would tip a car or sucker-punch a cop in Detroit.

4. :D

5. Overrated

Overrated Guest

Well, duh.

This was my favorite part of the story - the last graf.

Chief Thomas Derocha of the Sterling Heights Police Department said demonstrators began throwing half-pound pieces of steel used to make automobile steering columns, apparently stolen from a nearby plant.

6. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

Early in my career, when pondering the what-ifs of this kind of situation and how it could benefit me, I believed I would cross.

Now, I agree with those who say to go find another job. Besides, my grandfather was a newspaper printer and a big-time union man who fought through a prolonged strike in the 1960s. If I ever crossed, he'd probably crawl out his grave and pour hot lead down my throat and engrave "scab" across my forehead.

7. Overrated

Overrated Guest

Although in reality I probably wouldn't cross my newspaper's picket line, I wouldn't think twice about crossing the MLB picket line should the players ever strike again.

8. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Negative leverage when newspapers can fire people who go on strike and quickly hire willing kids out of college.

Build a relationship with people on your beat? Not when we can hire someone who'll work for $18K and doesn't have a family to support AND who can take his own photos, design pages and edit copy.

9. Yup, it's kind of hard to hold quality over a newspaper's head when they don't give a shit about quality to begin with.

10. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Not only would I cross THAT picket line and go watch "major league baseball" with scab players, but I'd probably start a "stay on strike!" chant.

Hell, 27,000-plus at RFK Stadium did just that during the 1987 NFL Strike. Of course, it helped the Skabskins was one of the best replacement teams assembled...

11. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Holy shit.

12. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

I hope I wouldn't, but with two kids and a mortgage, I don't know. I know I wouldn't go somewhere else as a scab. The other problem is that in my job I might be considered "management" and thus be the guy who had to cross.

I have friends who went through the Detroit strike and didn't cross. I hope I would have their resolve. I've never worked at a union shop, and at this point I suspect I never will, so it's not likely I'll have to make the decision, thank goodness.

Draft saved Draft deleted