1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Would you come to Nova Scotia....(Ellen Page story)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Cansportschick, Jan 15, 2008.

1. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

if Premier MacDonald sold it to you:

Background to this story is this: Ellen Page of Juno and Tracey Fragments fame was on David Letterman and they discussed where she is from. Father is from Lockeport, which hosts a greasepole every year.
    Lockeport is getting a lot of attention based on the show. Mayor feels he owes Letterman a couple of million dollars in tourist promotion/advertising products.

Mayor extended invitation to Letterman to come to Lockeport for the greasepole. Then, the premier of Nova Scotia, Rodney MacDonald created a special top 10 list for Letterman to convince him to come to the province.

I am curious. I thought this was a horrible top 10 and the top reason was stupid.

Fellow SJ'ers, would you come to NS after seeing this video? Any Canuckistans, do you think this was the best top 10 he could have come up with? Any suggestions of what you would add?

One thing I would of mentioned was Keith's Beer :eek:

2. Flash

Flash Guest

That Top 10 was fantastic. You obviously don't know much about Nova Scotia if you can't appreciate them.

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I come to Nova Scotia once a year but I have no idea why Letterman would

4. Cansportschick

Interesting comment because about 50 percent of Nova Scotians agree with me on this Flash (courtesy of my friend at CTV Atlantic).

Sorry, but the number one reason is dumb.....the leader plays fiddle. Do you really think Dave cares? I don't think so.

Letterman got the tape and has declined visiting Nova Scotia. Wonder what swayed his opinion against visiting the province...

5. In Exile

In Exile Member

Because he's going to Newfoundland.

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

And drink for four days straight

7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I haven't viewed the video, but the top 10 list is supposed to be humorous and tongue-in-cheek.
    Maybe that's why they didn't actually use convincing reasons
    1. The top 10 list is supposed to be goofy, not convincing. I think they made the list in the spirit of the actual Late Show list.
    B. Letterman doesn't go anywhere.

8. Cansportschick

On the infamous George Street

9. Flash

Flash Guest

Thanks, Buck. Somebody actually got it.

The premier is a fiddler? That's a fantastic way to promote the culture of Nova Scotia. It's only the stuffed shirts and the folks who don't know enough about the heritage of the land that would bristle at something like that.

30 minutes in any direction to the sea? That's my home town to a T and I brag about that very fact to my friends all the time.

Letterman, as I recall, was also formally invited to Regina to visit the home of the Assman. But he didn't go there either, so cansportschick's theory about Letterman's decline is really quite flawed -- as are most of her theories and postulations.

But if she'd like to keep promoting Nova Scotia on her choice of beer, she'd best not apply for any marketing and communications positions in the tourism industry.

10. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Isn't the hilariously-cranky-Midwesterner-turned-New-Yorker-promoting-Nova-Scotia spot already filled by Calvin Trillin?

11. Flash

Flash Guest

Huh ... imagine my surprise at this story:

http://www.hfxnews.ca/index.cfm?sid=96959&sc=89

The video was a hit on Halifax streets.

"Well it's obvious that Rodney MacDonald's writers aren't on strike," quipped one pedestrian who laughed at the production.

And this guy like it:

http://www.halifaxlive.com/content/view/1012/32/

Thanks Rodney, it was a tough week and I needed a giggle.

12. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I didn't realize I was stepping into some north-of-the-border cat fight.
    However, one must realize the spirit and intent was to goof and amuse. This is not supposed to be a serious attempt at tourism marketing.
    One might argue that the list isn't funny. I don't know; I know nothing about Nova Scotia outside its location.
    However, the notion of a 'better' list of reasons to visit seems to indicate a viewing that is much to literal.

Draft saved Draft deleted