1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Would you buy a car with (repaired) hail damage?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pete Incaviglia, Jul 28, 2008.

1. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

What's the make/model of the car you're looking to buy? Not that it particularly matters for this discussion.

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

My dad's a television repair man. He's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it.

3. Jay Sherman

Jay Sherman Member

Wow, why would this even matter? $3,000 in your pocket? No questions asked.

4. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I say do it. Unless it's a Fiat.

5. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

But check your mirrors on your way out. Let's not be silly.

6. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

The only concern, or concerns, are the warranty for the paint job goes out the window and I'm not sure if the long-term effects of hail damage/repair is quicker rusting and if the dents can somehow reappear.

7. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Buy it.
    Most cars are going to get dings, dents, scratches, etc. You can't prevent them 90 percent of the time, unless you never take it out of your garage.
    Take the monster discount, put $300 of the $3,000 in an interest-baring savings account and in a few years, you'll already have most of the money ready to paint it. But chances are, you might sell it before it needs a new paint job anyway.

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

9. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

10. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

If you know going in that it had hail damage (especially if the owners are up front about it), I'd buy it.

11. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

If everything else is good, take it. Now.

The big bonus is that, if I'm reading this correctly, the dealership will fix the dents. Since the paint wasn't broken, the worst-case scenario is you might want to spend about $20 or so on a three-step system by Meguiar's that can bring the shine out of almost anything.

My current car was pelted by at least $800 worth of damage. I found a reputable guy in the city to pop out the dents for $600. After washing the vehicle and three-stepping it, it was good as new. Really. And I'm picky, picky, picky ...

12. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

The only thing I would check ... make sure that there isn't any kind of branding on the title that indicates it was sold as a damaged vehicle. I doubt there is, but every state is different. (And regardless, this probably will show up on CarFax when you go to sell it someday).

But otherwise, yeah sounds promising.

Draft saved Draft deleted