1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Would You Ask Why?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Pete Incaviglia, Oct 6, 2007.

1. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Same here. You might risk pissing off the coach when he's had a chance to calm down after the game, but you've still got a job to do.

2. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

How many people on here wouldn't take shit from Bill Parcells?

It ain't like he never has to shit or sleep.

3. boots

boots New Member

First off, Parcells does that bully shit all the time. It's his thing but I will give him credit, he will answer your question. It might be smar-assed. And while I've seen and hear Parcells bark at a reporter's questions, I've never seen or heard of him cursing a member of the press out or threatening to kick their ass.

4. Bill, I swear when I talk, I swear when I write. It's just me. Don't take it personal.

I only knew he was 18 because he was profiled just a week or so prior by another writer (because the kid got a juco scholarship or offer, I forget which). I also knew that dad was an assistant because of the writeup. I just did my homework before I went on my first assignment.

To answer your question about the head coach ... would have still done it.

Come to think of it, I would have probably done it even if the kid was under 18. Every player, coach and parent knows that we look for quotes/interviews. It's the varsity level, which is a large chunk of our coverage as a sub-30K daily. It's part of my job to ask, and it's part of their job to know I'm going to want that information. At that level, the kids are mature enough to decide for themselves if they want to talk. If the kid tells me no, I don't push it. But I'm not going to have some fucktard coach telling me I can't ask for an interview. More than a year into this job, I don't have problems because the coaches respect my position. It's very rare that I have a kid clam up on me.

If the parent has a beef with me wanting interviews, then the parent needs to pull the kid out and keep sheltering the little fucker from rest of the big, bad world.

That's just my rant.

Draft saved Draft deleted