1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Would you apply for this job (non-sports) based on the ad's presentation?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Claws for Concern, Oct 5, 2006.

1. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Posted on journalismjobs.com today (Oct. 4)

Company: Casper Star-Tribune
    Position: Cover Crime Like A Coroner's Sheet
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Not Specified
    Ad Expires: November 8, 2006
    Job ID: 449397

Description:
    It was a drop-dead gorgeous day in Wyoming, like most days in Wyoming. I had my feet propped on the desk, contemplating another great winter of skiing on Casper Mountain.
    Then the door opened, and in walked trouble.

"I need help," she said.

I wasn't surprised. Everybody who comes to see me needs help. I asked her, "What kind of help do you have in mind?"

"I need somebody inquisitive," she said. "Somebody who isn't afraid to burn some shoe leather looking for the truth. Somebody who doesn't mind hustling to a crime scene at all hours."

I nodded. "Somebody tough, huh?"

"Yeah, but somebody smart and sensitive, too. Somebody who can look beyond the daily mayhem to see the trends and the human angles. Somebody who can make time for ambitious enterprise reporting about the issues that affect the safety of our community."

"Oh," I said. "You're looking for a crime and courts reporter."

"Not just any reporter," she said. "I need a journalist who can relate stories to readers' lives. I need a writer who can knock out a crime story in a hurry but also craft sophisticated narrative for a Sunday centerpiece."

"Supposing I find this person," I said. "What's the payoff?"

"We have a strong compensation and benefits package including medical, dental, vision, 401(k) -- even an employee stock purchase plan."

I was impressed. I told her I’d nose around a little. Maybe place an ad.

"Good idea," she said. "Be sure to mention that we're Wyoming's biggest newspaper. Mention that our circulation is around 31,000 daily and growing nicely."

"Right," I said. "Should I also mention that our passion for excellence earned us 2005’s “Enterprise of the Year” honors from our parent company?"

"It couldn't hurt," she said. "And mention our first-place general excellence award from the Wyoming Press Association. Tell them to check out our Web site at www.casperstartribune.net, and our parent company at www.lee.net. Also, mention that we're an equal opportunity employer."

"Check," I said. "I'll tell them to send their resume, their best clips and a list of references to Clark Walworth, Editor, The Casper Star-Tribune, P.O. Box 80, Casper, WY 82602."

"You do that," she said. "And tell them the deadline is Oct. 25." "Got it," I said. "You, know, I've got a feeling this could be the start of a beautiful career."

2. Cadet

Cadet Guest

I think it's cute, until you get to the protagonist using "our".

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Journalism noir?

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I was somewhere near Casper at the edge of the mountains when the lede began to take shape. I remember saying something like "I'm going to beat the shit out of the Casper Gazette with this story of political orgies and government crack whores; maybe even drive our paper to the top of the state..." And suddenly there was a terrible roar all around me and the digital tape recorder I'd used to gather my quotes was full of what sounded like Hoodoo gibberish, echoing like the sound of Conga drums at a Voodoo sacrifice. And a voice was screaming: Voodoo? Sacrifice? Where the fuck is Lisa Bonet?

5. sartrean

sartrean Member

I think Garrison Keillor and Minnesota Public Radio might have a copyright infringment suit against the Caspar Star-Trib.

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

Actually, the words "Casper, Wyoming" were enough to stop me.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

He had me at "full-time."

8. DyePack

DyePack New Member

It was a dark and stormy night. Suddenly, a shot rang out.

I rushed to the door. I could see my reflection in the pistol smoke.

A body lay on the cold, hard ground. It wasn't moving. But the lady holding the pistol was, toward the shadows. I chose to follow her.

"Bad date?" I asked. She smirked before replying.

"No, we just decided to take out one of our reporters. There's a vacancy now. Interested?"

"That depends. How often do you fire shots?"

"When corporate tells me to push a button on someone, I push a button. But Wyoming is ALWAYS gorgeous."

With so little information, I stood silently as she retreated into the night. The chill of the air descended, and I went back inside.

9. MGoBlue

MGoBlue Member

Oh, come on people.

I thought it was an interesting way for a paper in the middle of nowhere most of us wouldn't want to be to post for a job.

Have some sense of humor, please.

10. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

That sort of shit always comes across as trying too hard. Personally, that would kind of scare me off. You know the person who wrote that is one of those jackasses who thinks he/she is a hell of a lot funnier than they really are...and I get uncomfortable being around people like that for too long.

11. bp6316

bp6316 Member

I don't know about the ad, but this very well could go down as Post of the Year! I love it! Masterful job Dye...masterful.

And well, I kind of like the job ad. It's quirky, but it made me smile and think I would enjoy working with people that try to make life fun. And then I realized it was Wyoming and, well, that was that.

Draft saved Draft deleted