1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Would the world be better without the Internet?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Versatile, Dec 15, 2012.

1. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Let's say everything else stays the same, but this mass communication network, along with its application in all phases of technology, goes poof.

Better or worse?

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

If the world didn't have the Internet, we couldn't have this discussion.

3. 21

21 Well-Known Member

There's nothing "better" about less information and communication.

But you wouldn't have asked if you didn't think there was argument for "better." Explain?

4. TheSportsPredictor

That was some trick, posting this just before SportsJournalists.com vanished for five minutes.

5. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I don't have a real argument for "better," but I think some of our fellow members will have interesting ones. I see a lot of griping about all sorts of things that exist foremost because of the Internet, which of course comes on an Internet message board.

The only point I would make toward "better" is the completely selfish one that my career would be less at risk. But even then, my current job has a large Web focus, and my career path has gone pretty damn well despite that darn Internet.

6. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

I often wonder that myself.

I sometimes think we're in an information overload era, and that there's a lot of misinformation out there that wouldn't be there without Facebook/Twitter/etc.

7. TheSportsPredictor

It's like saying the world would be better off if the printing press were never invented.

8. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

How is it the same? Facebook/Twitter is instant and doesn't require any credibility. Anyone can post anything they want without any real fear.

I'm not saying false information was never printed, but it took longer to get out to people than some bogus report on Facebook.

I think technology is great, so don't confuse me for someone who thinks it was "better back in my days." I'm only saying that technology + stupid, gullible people = turrible.

9. TheSportsPredictor

The printing press revolutionized knowledge. It took information out of the hands of the few and put it into the hands of the many. It made it cheaper and more accessible. The Internet has done the same. And of course the printing press allowed mistakes or lies to be mass produced as well.

10. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Far worse. The "good ol' days" never existed.

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

It's better overall. In third-world countries especially, people are living who wouldn't be. I just went to an event honoring the founder of Infosys, the Indian company that invented outsourcing. There are literally tens of millions (hundreds of millions?) of people alive today who would not be alive if not for that boost to the economy and all the health and quality-of-life gains that came along with it.

However, the world -- especially the first world -- is a much less happier place because of the Internet, and it always will be.

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I for one do not want to ponder for one second a world without Ceiling Cat

Draft saved Draft deleted