1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Would Michigan get your AP vote?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ADifferentOkie, Sep 5, 2007.

1. What about the 116 points for Missouri? They beat Illinois by what, six?

2. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

You sent me scurrying through the online IU media guy, but I found it -- 1967, when the Hoosiers won 27-20. The Hoosiers also gave Michigan scares at The Big House in 1991 (24-16), 1996 (27-20) and to a lesser degree 1998 (21-10).

Re: Mizzou, hey, at least they won a rivalry game against a BCS team on a neutral field. I would prefer that to losing to a I-AA at home.

3. Nice job, Oz.

Here's another question. How far did Virginia drop in the basketball poll after losing to Chaminade? Granted, it's quite a bit different than Michigan-Appy State since Virginia had some big wins, over Georgetown and Houston, I think, before losing to Chaminade. I'm just curious if anyone remembers.

4. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Either way, they've done nothing to warrant one point for any top 25 poll for this season, this week ... any of it.

And I've had a shitty week, so yes, I am pitching a short fit before trying to sleep.

5. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Then . . .what does that make the Sycamores?

6. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Stan's poop.

So bad it's almost fun to root for them, sorta like the Cubs.

I'm not sure that I can put how awful Indiana State truly is into words.

7. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

After what I saw from Michigan after one game, the rankings would have to include 40 teams before I'd consider the Wolverines. To me, putting them 21st is insane.

8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Should the AP not publish a poll until the fourth week of the season?

I would almost rather see it later than so early.

9. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Oddly enough, I was talking to a friend online and he asked that question. After a little research ...

http://www.sportsstats.com/AP/Ranking/1982-83.html

... after losing on Dec. 23, they dropped from No. 1 to ... No. 4. Yep, just a three-spot drop in the AP poll for losing in the biggest upset ever. Now granted, they had wins over Georgetown and Houston heading in, and basketball is different than football, but people who had Virginia ranked highly before still had them ranked highly afterwards.

Now my question, to which I alluded in a previous thread. If Michigan had made that last field goal and they won 35-34, where do you rank them?

10. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

If I had an AP Top 25 vote, I would have dropped Michigan out. As it was, I dropped them out of the SportsJournalists.com Top 25. Michigan had every advantage going into that game. Top 25 teams don't lose to App State at home. The game doesn't come down to two blocked kicks.

MM: I would have dropped Michigan if they made a FG to win the game. It would have been the weekend's most unimpressive win and Michigan would have to drop in the polls, especially considering how some teams--Cal, for example--won impressively.

Can Michigan get back into the Top 25? Absolutely, but they have to beat good teams. Beating Oregon and Notre Dame probably doesn't get it done, but it's a start.

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

The prison break style of blocking used by Michigan during the field goal placed an exclamation point on the game. If they correctly block, they still remain in the top 25 and possibly the top 10. But when you cannot properly block for a fg attempt, something which is very simple, then you drop out of the top 25.

Basketball is different than football. You only have five people on the floor and seven or eight can give you a complete team for 40 minutes. One or two good players can keep you in a game no matter who you are, and foul trouble can cripple the other team. There are so many variables in basketball.

Also, Virginia played a road game in a small gym multiple time zones away.

Michigan was at home in good weather.

You tell me the Michigan coordinators could not expose a blocking weakness on the Appa line? They could not find a weak CB, LB or DL to expose and run at? There is a reason why it is so difficult to find a small school knocking off a power in football; it just does not happen. Complete incompetence rarely reaches the top DIs.

12. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

The preseason poll is when you vote for who you believe to be the top 25 teams in the country. Once the games start being played, you vote on performance. With only one game to go on, there is no way you can logically vote Michigan in the top 25 based on performance.

Draft saved Draft deleted