1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Would Michigan get your AP vote?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ADifferentOkie, Sep 5, 2007.

1. This was hit upon on another thread, but I thought it deserved its own thread.
    Would any of us put Michigan in our Top 25 this week?
    To me, the question comes down to what you're actually voting on.
    If you are voting on who you think are the 25 teams most deserving of votes, clearly Michigan is out.
    If it is the teams you think are the best in the country, they might be in.
    Personally, I'd leave them out either way, but I also think they will get their act together and be ranked again at some point this season.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I voted for them this week in the SportsJournalists.com poll...
    Were they the 25th most successful team in the nation this weekend? Of course not. Should they be over the course of the season, yes.

3. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

I dumped them from my SportsJournalists.com poll becuase, well, they deserved it, damnit. They'l haven plenty of chances to climb back up, though.

4. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

I can't believe you or anyone else would even consider voting for them in the top 25.

Amazing.

5. Hammer Pants

They have played one game.

In that game, they lost.

To a Division I-AA team.

THEY DO NOT BELONG IN THE POLL.

6. That's my argument, but it's also assuming you vote on those who earn their spot -- basically based on a resume -- and not on whether you think they are one of the 25 best.
    I think that's the heart of the issue.

7. But they lost to a 1-AA team that is better than half the 1-A teams. As was said earlier on another thread, Michigan losing to Indiana would have been a bigger upset.

8. Hammer Pants

How would Michigan be either of those things?

I get your argument ... just don't think that Michigan should even be considered, and I think everyone who gave them a vote in the AP poll this week should be tossed out. It's that stupid, in my opinion.

9. Hammer Pants

I love Appy, and they can sneak up on anyone on a given day, and their kids are obviously winners.

But losing to Appy means you're not one of the nation's top 25 major DI teams.

10. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

I still don't get this. Appy State was winless vs. I-A teams, and they weren't playing good I-A teams.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

You're right. No team has ever lost its opening game and stayed in the poll.
    And that IAA team is also the two-time defending champion and moved from No. 6 to No. 1 in that poll.
    I'm not defending the loss, but it's not like they lost to East Carolina either.
    I put Michigan 21st and I don't think that an unreasonable spot -- now. Lost to Oregon and, yeah, I would agree that the Appy State game was more indictative of the type of team Michigan has.

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Watching the replay on FSN tonight - the Wolves look very slow and their defensive stunts played right into the hands of the Appalachian QB. Has Michigan ever heard of a "spy" linebacker?

Brilliant strategy by the Big 10 network to get this out on FSN to get even more people saying "they want their Big 10" (on basic cable, not that expanded tier crap).

Oregon has a speedy QB as well.

And no I wouldn't put M on a ballot, but I know some writers see it as who are the best teams, while others see it as which teams have played the best.

Draft saved Draft deleted