1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Would calling Obama illiterate have been better?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by RespectMyAuthority, Feb 7, 2007.

1. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

Put your thinking cap on REAL tight...are you telling me you can't even fathom how this can be possible?

I imagine that to Hughley, the use of the 'N' word isn't as offensive only because it's a blanket statement used against all African-Americans, used typically in an effort to get a reaction.

The fact that he is consistently called 'articulate' tells him that the underlying thought process is that most African-Americans are NOT articulate. And that when someone runs into an African-American who IS well-spoken, they feel the need to point this out.

To him, I'm guessing, this underlying stereotype is more offensive and substantive than someone belting out the 'N' word simply because that person doesn't like the color of your skin.

2. RespectMyAuthority

RespectMyAuthority New Member

I'll tell you what's more likely. No one walked up to D.J. Hughley and told him he's bright or articulate. More likely, he pulled that out of his ass because it fit the point he was trying to make. Personally, I find him neither bright or articulate. How's that for honesty.

3. Since you can't figure out the proper use of or and nor, you're not exactly Ernest Hemingway yourself.

4. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

Tony Dungy and Lovie Smith are two really dignified coaches that represent the NFL well.

5. RespectMyAuthority

RespectMyAuthority New Member

I'm not Ernest Hemingway? Yeah, well you're no V.C. Andrews. So there.

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Bingo. We have a winner.

Thanks, Trouser. You have just summed it up.

7. pallister

pallister Guest

That was funny.

I could only imagine if conservatives came on here and tried to explain why a black man feels the way he does. The outrage would be off the charts.

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

If you had read the article that I had posted--which is probably a stretch--you would have discovered that it was the "black man" who was doing the explaining.

Dumbass.

9. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Niiiiiice

10. pallister

pallister Guest

JR,

You, being so smart, had to further explain what he meant. And, to my earlier point, if anyone on here who has not made their bones as an SportsJournalists.com liberal (or at least dutifully parrots those who have) was to "explain" what D.L. Hughly was saying, that person would be villified for having the audacity to speak of something of which they could not possibly understand.

Now that I think of it. Who the hell are you to speak for an American. You're Canadian. What do you know?

11. MertWindu

MertWindu Active Member

The conservatives on this board are starting to become sitcom characters. There's Bobbleyawn, the raving lunatic who just flings shit (sometimes literally) at the wall to see what sticks and to see who'll get pissed and give him some attention. There's deep_lackofmorals, who doesn't really know how to do anything at all but plays the Joey Tribbiani role pretty well. There's folks like Junkie, who really piss me off because they're actually intelligent and I can't just ignore that :))), and then there's you, pallister. The one who wants to be in Yawn's clubhouse and come to the aid of every poor, put-upon neo-con that comes down the pike, but who clearly desires to be taken seriously. And you alternate between deserving that sort of regard and making an incomplete ass of yourself. Like this post, where you rehash the old "the liberals on here won't listen to anyone until they've proven that they're liberal too," and then move on to bashing JR's ability to post because he's from such a distant FUCKING LAND AS CANADA.

Sorry, I think we have to go to a commercial break. When we return, watch how Yawn posts a neo-con blog's ranting about Barack Obama being John Amaechi's lover, and then backing off of it with guns raised as he realizes he's just a fucking idiot.

12. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

"Whenever Colin Powell is on the news, white people give him the same compliments: 'How do you feel about Colin Powell?' 'He speaks so well! He's so well spoken. I mean he really speaks so well!' Like that's a compliment, shit. 'He speaks so well' is not a compliment, OK? 'He speaks so well' is some shit you say about retarded people that can talk.

"What do you mean he speaks so well? He's a fucking educated man! How the fuck you expect him to sound, you dirty motherfucker? 'He speaks so well.' What are you talking about? What voice were you expecting to come out of his mouth? 'Imma drop me a bomb today! I be Pwez o dent!' "

--Chris Rock, Bring the Pain, 1996

Draft saved Draft deleted