1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Would calling Obama illiterate have been better?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by RespectMyAuthority, Feb 7, 2007.

1. RespectMyAuthority

RespectMyAuthority New Member

The audacity of our President to actually call someone articulate. Obama should call for an immediate apology, and George Bush should be forced to sit through racial sensitivity training. Do people really hate him that much that even something as silly and insigificant as this becomes an issue. Have people really become this hyper-sensitive? Of course calling the President a liar, a traitor, a war-mongerer, etc., etc., well, that's just fine.

2. Interesting. I wonder which long-time SportsJournalists.com member this is.

3. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Yawn?

Lyman?

The return of MLB?

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Look for key words and we can figure it out.

5. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Dude, one more post and you hit 1,000!!!
    I'm not one to ask who has nuked their old identity to start over. And I'm guessing Ellis isn't one either.

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Ellis, make 1000 a good one, I could use a good laugh, and you're always a great remedy.

7. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

I live a sheltered life....can you explain what it is you're talking about?

8. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

Ok, I've found something on it...

Looks like Bush isn't the only one to get heat...Biden did too.

http://thinkprogress.org/2007/01/31/bush-biden-obama/

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I think our newest doofus in waiting may be referring to an article that appeared in the NYT, "The Racial Politics of Speaking Well".

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/02/04/weekinreview/04clemetson.html

When whites use the word (articulate) in reference to blacks, it often carries a subtext of amazement, even bewilderment. It is similar to praising a female executive or politician by calling her “tough” or “a rational decision-maker.”

“When people say it, what they are really saying is that someone is articulate ... for a black person,” Ms. Perez said.

Such a subtext is inherently offensive because it suggests that the recipient of the “compliment” is notably different from other black people.

10. Duane Postum

Duane Postum Member

C'mon, you can do better than this.

11. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I understand that, but at some point we have to move on and let people take back the word, reclaim it, don't we? I mean, it's a good word, isn't it? I mean, I'm about as liberal as they come, but when you can't pay someone a compliment, isn't it just a wee bit fucked up?

And I totally call B.S. on the analogy about female executives or politicians, at least in terms of the "tough" comment.

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Well, at least "articulate" isn't an adjective you could ever use to describe Fredo.

Draft saved Draft deleted