1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Would an Obama presidency help curb the use of racial quotas in America?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Lugnuts, Jan 31, 2008.

1. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Quotas are technically illegal, but we all know they exist.

Also, would an Obama presidency reduce the need for, or the support of affirmative action?

The argument being (and not necessarily my argument, btw), if an African American can rise to the level of POTUS....

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

It's too bad we still have to use racial designations. Until we can stop doing so, both quotas and affirmative action will exist. We've got a long way to go ... and apologies to Jerry Reed, but I don't see a short time to get there.

3. Lugnuts

Are you saying it wouldn't be significant if he were elected?

And it wasn't significant when Tiger Woods won the Masters?

I don't understand your point.

4. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Not sure I understand the question. Are you wondering if people will think, 'Well, if we can have a black president, then blacks must have caught up in the work force...'?

Reminds me of last season's Super Bowl with the two black head coaches, and the inane discussion over whether that meant 'equality' had finally reached the NFL.

But to take a shot at your question, seems the logic would be, 'See, give people a chance, look at how far they can go.'

5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

6. Lugnuts

Like it or not, that's exactly the perception many people have. There were folks arguing the Rooney Rule was no longer necessary.

Because of perception, or for whatever reason.... I'm wondering if enthusiasm for affirmative action (or if stubborn adherence to the use of quotas) will be dampened by an Obama presidency.

Which could be a good thing, or not, depending on your point of view. I'm simply wondering about the effect.

7. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Here is the thing that pisses me off the most about people who are the most angry over "affirmative action" especially when it comes to things like college applications (and Lugs, I realize this is separate from your point and not directed at you):

"Legacy" admissions, like the one George Walker Bush used to get into Yale, make up something like 30 percent of the students accepted into those prestigious schools. Quotas, based on race, make up something like 10 percent.

Yet no one every bitches and bitches about all those kids who only get into Yale because dad went there.

8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Obama's presidency - the very existence of it - would have no effect. Maybe his policies might.

9. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Racist employers are not going to suddenly say “Hey a black guy can be president. I never thought black people were smart enough for that. I guess I should hire some.”

10. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

The difference is that most people believe that the Constitution says:

"...nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws." Equal protection isn't that we are all treated equal, it's that you cannot deny equal protection because of certain characteristics, like race, national origin or religion.

As to legacy, the argument is that being a legacy admission has nothing to do with race. Not really true since it's only been 40 years since women, blacks and jews have been regularly admitted. But barrack Obama's children will get preferential treatment at Columbia because he's a legacy. And these days, African American children of middle class backgrounds whose parents are college educated may receive preference over children, regardless of race, whose parents never went to college.

One reason those of us of the Jewish faith so object to Affirmative Action and quotas, is 40 years ago, Yale, Harvard, Princeton, Johns Hopkins, had quotas for Jews, they only let in, for example, 5 Jews per class, even when Jewish applicants were more qualified than white admittees. With Affirmative Action, Jewish applicants can be more than qualified again, yet be denied admission. Ask the Asian American kids being excluded from Stanford and Cal. because they don't want 30-40% of the entering class to be Asian what they think of Affirmative Action.

11. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Not arguing with your general meaning here, but I think you'll agree that most Jews are white.

12. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

O.J. Simpson...

Not a Jew!

Draft saved Draft deleted