1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Worthy HOF thread? ... London Fletcher

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cubbiebum, Dec 29, 2011.

1. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

He's all but clinched leading the league in tackles in this his 14th season. He's one of the ultimate very good but never elite guys. He's kind of like a football's Craig Biggio to me.

He's got almost 1,800 career tackles, 35 sacks and 18 interceptions. Going against him is the fact that he has only made two Pro Bowls.

I would compare him to someone like Junior Seau. Fletcher is just behind him in total tackles, Fletcher has 22 less sacks, they are equal in interceptions but Fletcher smokes him in overall coverage which is represented by a 73-23 pass deflection advantage and Fletcher has played in 45 less games.

To me he is in. Was he ever the best, no. He was very good for a very long time and should be one of the guys who gets in for his cumulative career. Very under-appreciated to me. One of the best coverage MLB's of this generation to me. Coverage doesn't get you the pub that sacks do though.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

London Fletcher:Junior Seau::Adam Sandler:paul Newman

3. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Nice player. Not a Hall of Famer.

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Two Pro Bowls? Sorry.

Very underrated player who spent his career under s shitty owner, but no HOF.

5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

He is no Chris Hamburger. Or Carl Banks

6. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

Nice guy, good player. Not a Hall of Famer. Not even on the list of top 10 lbs who are not in the Hall. In no particular order Sam Mills, Dave Robinson, Andy Russell, Chuck Howley, Tommy Nobis, Robert Brazile, Jessie Tuggle, Cornelius Bennett, Daryl Talley, Brad Van Pelt, Randy Gradishar, Karl Mecklenburg, Mike Curtis, Tom Jackson, Jerry Robinson and probably a bunch of guys I am not even thinking about. Actually two more: Chris Spielman and George Webster, who both got injured in their primes and never recovered.

7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

This is in football, right?

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I can't get too excited about tackle numbers. They're nothing to sneeze at, but they can also be a function of bad teammates and bad defenses that can't get off the field.

Either way, if you need them to make your HOF argument, then it's a "no" already.

9. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

How many pro athletes you know named London Fletcher?

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Love London Fletcher.

He is not a Hall of Famer.

11. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

35 sacks? They're not the only stat that matter, but that's two seasons for Lawrence Taylor, nevermind a career.

And the Pro Bowl is just not that hard to get into. They take 10 per year (plus inevitably some can't play, so figure it's probably more 12 or 13). If you don't make the Pro Bowl more than twice, you aren't an HOF-level linebacker.

I really like the guy, too, but I don't think he's close to worthy.

12. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Fletcher is good but doesn't belong in the Hall but you can't look at his sacks and compare it it LT. Two different positions with totally different responsibilities.

Draft saved Draft deleted