1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Worst weekly article ever?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Game of Shadoes Stevens, May 19, 2008.

1. Someone from this area sent me this "article" today. It's complete garbage and the most sexist trash you'll ever read. I know it's a weekly, but how does this get in print? And how does this dude still have a gig doing this? It's from a paper called the Buffalo Rocket. Apparently, he posts it on his own Web site, too.

http://www.benspicks.com/The%20Rant-08.htm

May 13, 2008
    BATTER UP!

Now that softball season is upon us, spring has finally sprung in Western NY . Yes, the pros have been playing in the Big Leagues, and Triple A, since the beginning of April but in my eyes, it’s not officially baseball season until you can enjoy the sunshine, smell the fresh cut grass and hear the crack, ‘dooh!’, the ‘ping’ of the bat. Ah softball season, where else can a man, or woman, take refuge from the reality of middle age?

I, myself, am not particularly athletic, so I fuel my competitive juices by watching my friends compete. The bar I frequent, I’m not naming names but it’s located in ‘Downtown Blackrock’, sponsors several teams and I especially enjoy watching the Ladies compete on Tuesday nights. These women take their softball seriously and are quite good. Many of these women have been playing for years and fit the profile of your typical softball player, including several who ‘bat for the same team’ (not that there’s anything wrong with that). Besides, I certainly can’t fault anyone for liking the same things that I do. It’s an awesome sight watching a well-endowed woman rounding the bases, hooters flapping in all directions, trying to beat a throw home. Where else can you get that kind of free entertainment on a warm summer’s night?

The league plays at Houghton Field and the diamonds there are not very good. Holes and divots are everywhere and there’s a valley beyond the infield. It’s particularly difficult for the infielders backpedaling, or fielding grounders. Many of the Ladies are injured but the City doesn’t care, the field hasn’t changed in years. It would be nice if the City of Buffalo took a little pride in their facilities and literally, ‘leveled the playing field’. What would it take, a backhoe, a little labor? I know the City is poor but come on already.

I also enjoy watching the Men’s Over 35 League play at Cazenovia Park . Most of them are my age, a lot closer to 50 than 35, but still take pride in their performance. The problem is most of them are now carrying a sidecar and, although the wheels are still willing, it’s the brakes that give them the most trouble. It’s especially amusing watching them stumble as they round the bases and dive for balls, wondering if they’ll get up in one piece. You can bet your bottom dollar there will be several injuries, especially early in the year. My friend Frank is a sideshow un to himself and if I was smart enough to have my camera rolling, I could pocket big money on America ’s Funniest Home Videos.

This group of guys wins as many games as they lose but they don’t really care. What better way to spend a couple of hours on a warm summer’s night, than with your buds, away from your nagging wife. Then, as nighttime descends, you trek back to the bar, talk about the game and cap it off with couple of cold brews and a steaming stack of chicken wings. Ah, the modern athlete, can it get any better than that?

I’m urging all you couch potatoes out there to put down the remote, go out and enjoy summer. If you can’t play, pick a team to follow and have a little fun. If you know someone on a softball team, go watch them play. If your niece or nephew plays Little League, grab a folding chair and take a hike to the park. It’s entertaining, it’s live, it’s fun and best of all, it’s F-R-E-E that spells Free!

I’m especially looking forward to this evening because the Ladies will be playing their first game of the season. This particular group of Ladies has been together for several years and still has not been able to win the league championship. The frustration is especially maddening because it’s always the same team that gets them in the end. Rumor has it several Ladies from the Championship team have defected to our side. It’ll be interesting to see which ‘team’ these Ladies literally, and figuratively, bat for tonight. BATTER UP! Thanks, Ben

2. Can someone move this? My apologies!

3. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Horribly inappropriate. And unintentionally hilarious.

4. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

I don't think that's from a weekly newspaper. It looks like the link is to a BLOG!

5. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

Ever think that Ben [insert last name here] might not want his work posted at an industry Web site for ridicule? I don't see the point in your post.

Here is a link to the newspaper's site: http://www.buffalorocket.com.

EDIT: why didn't I actually read the article before jumping on my high horse? ???

6. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

7. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Worst article? Try worst weekly.

(Yeah, I clicked on the link ... I'd advise you to avoid the temptation.)

8. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

We cover a high school softball team that starts its district tournament tomorrow. Think I'd get in trouble if I worked the phrase "hooters flapping in all directions" into the gamer?

9. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Article is astonishing luddite tripe.

10. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

I have good news and bad news. The good news, Buffalo isn't a one-newspaper town. The bad news ...

YD&OHS, etc

11. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Perhaps if a group of owls descend on the field, it'd be all right.

I do like how he uses the third graf, amidst hooters talk, to take time to crusade for better facilities.

12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I clicked a few pages on the site, and I came across this.

"Don't be a fool, 56% winners [NFL picks againstthe spread] the last 7 years!"

I don't bet, but from what I understand if you are hitting 56% with a 10% vig back to the house, you are working 4% against the curve.

This is nothing to brag about, right?

Draft saved Draft deleted