1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Worst ump in MLB?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JackyJackBN, Apr 18, 2007.

1. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

OK, how about some of the good ones?

Tim McClelland and Jim Joyce come to mind right away.

I miss Doug Harvey and Dutch Rennart.

2. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Dutch Rennert wasn't very good, but people liked that loud strike call.

3. boots

boots New Member

Oh man, Dutch was outfuckingstanding!!!!

4. Chef

Chef Active Member

The good ones: Harry Wendelstedt.......Doug Harvey........John McSherry.......

5. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

Dutch was great. His called strikes were the same if it was the first pitch of the game or in a 12-1 game with two out in the bottom of the ninth.

6. John McSherry ... sad story. His death confirmed Marge Schott's reputation as a total putz.

I can't believe Bruce Froemming still is working. He never will be forgiven for screwing Milt Pappas out of a perfect game in 1972.

7. Chef

Chef Active Member

That was Opening Day, wasn't it?

8. JackyJackBN

JackyJackBN Guest

McClelland does a pretty good job of calling the game, but he comes out there with a little chip on his shoulder once in a while. Too much hot sauce at the buffet, maybe?

9. I think so. Marge was more pissed about losing her opening-day gate than she was about a dead umpire on her watch.

10. JackyJackBN

JackyJackBN Guest

Sorry to Jack my own thread, but--it just occurred to me--how old is Yawn? Could he be the reincarnation of Marge Schott? Kind of the Dalai Lama of deviation?

[On second thought, Marge, wherever you are, forgive me. Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa.]

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Man, it's good to know that I'm not the only one who thinks C.B. Bucknor and Angel Hernandez suck sweaty goat balls.

Doug Harvey is still my favorite umpire simply because of something he did at a Cubs game I attended several years ago.

Late in the game, bang-bang play at first base, calls the runner out, myself and my over-served friends were giving him some good-natured hell about missing the call from our seats right on the wall behind first base.

He looked at us, held his hands about six inches apart and mouthed the words "that much". He was smiling the whole time. Totally broke us up.

12. Jones

Jones Active Member

I believe Hernandez to be the worst of a generally bad bunch. But if you really want some fun, to this day, ask Dykstra what he thinks of the Cowboy. Nothing like watching a man's head explode clean off his body.

Draft saved Draft deleted