1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Worst ump in MLB?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JackyJackBN, Apr 18, 2007.

1. JackyJackBN

JackyJackBN Guest

I keep waiting for Tim Tschida to surface. Am I off base here?

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

You asked for worst. No way Tschida reaches the level of suckitude to which Bucknor and Hernandez aspire.

3. JackyJackBN

JackyJackBN Guest

Tschida has games when he competes. I saw him once last year when his strike zone was dancing around like a luna moth on a windy night. But for sheer, consistent badditity, yep, it's still Bucknor and Hernandez, I guess.

4. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

Agreed. He's below average. Certainly not brutal like Bucknor and Hernandez.

5. cake in the rain

cake in the rain Active Member

6. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

They don't have AL and NL umps anymore right?

Or did Bucknor switch to the NL? I know I saw him ump some Tigers games last year and yea, he is pretty bad.

7. Andy Fletcher seems to often have a short fuse. Not sure about his strike zone, but I've seen him escalate situations on several occasions.

8. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Umps no longer are league-specific. So every team has an equal shot of drawing Bucknor or Hernandez and spending three games swearing at the TV.

9. boots

boots New Member

What qualifies someone to being labeled by those on this thread as a bad ump?

10. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Eddings gives Bucknor a run for his money in the "Cujo here's got a little attitudinal problem" department. Both seem to hold grudges. I think most players and managers would rather have someone consistently bad than consistently an asshole. Consistently bad they can adjust to. Consistently inconsistent (see the moth reference above), they can't.

11. JackyJackBN

JackyJackBN Guest

Here's the way I put it in the first line of the thread: "By worst ump, I mean most inconsistent, with aggressiveness (a la Joe Crawford) being a secondary factor."

What's your take, boots?

12. boots

boots New Member

I can't agree with you more.

Draft saved Draft deleted