1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Worst ump in MLB?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JackyJackBN, Apr 18, 2007.

1. JackyJackBN

JackyJackBN Guest

By worst ump, I mean most inconsistent, with aggressiveness (a la Joe Crawford) being a secondary factor. Last night night Cowboy Joe West had two strike zones for a while, then started to level off. I won't bore with the details. If I were a gambler, I'd make a careful study of the tendencies of the umps before placing any bet. (E.g.: Maddux on the mound, home plate ump has a tight strike zone, don't bet on Maddux.)

Uncle Bruce Froemming can hardly get around out there anymore, and he makes some strange calls, but he tends to make the same strange calls over and over.

CB Bucknor gets my vote. I wish I could be there the next time he calls a Cubs game.

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Consistently Bad Bucknor? He's pretty bad.

My vote goes to Angel Hernandez.

3. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Bucknor is bad. Angel Hernandez too.

4. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Bucknor, and it's not even close. Even my kids cringe when they see that he's umpiring a game involving our favorite team.

5. JackyJackBN

JackyJackBN Guest

I have Hernandez second on my list too. Bucknor smirking at Piniella and sending Lou into a frothing, twirling rage is an image that puts him at the top for me. Or bottom, if you will. But I have to thank him for it.

6. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

For a bad strike zone, it's Hernandez and it really isn't close.

For attitude, it's Bucknor.

7. Dignan

Dignan Guest

Chuck Meriweather -- pretty bad all around.

Sam Holbrook -- strike zone changes inning to inning.

8. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

Definitely Bucknor and Hernandez.

But at least Ken Kaiser isn't around anymore.

9. Ed Vargo = worst ever

10. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

doug eddings is pretty bad

the other day i had a catcher say he asked eddings where a pitch was and he replied, 'eh, i dunno.'

11. boots

boots New Member

This is so easy. The worst is number 22, the former quarterback of East Carolina State University, "Cowboy" Joe West.

12. Hernandez and Bucknor, in no particular order.

Joe West gets an honorable mention, although he at least has his singing/acting career on which to fall back.

Draft saved Draft deleted