1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Worst tournament field ever?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Mar 15, 2011.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

He tossed two players (not stars) off the team in the course of 8 months. Who recruited them in the first place?

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

1. Wilbon knows his shit when it comes to college hoops. To dismiss his opinion because he doesn't cover two games a week is ignorant and, well, plain, fucking stupid.

2. While Wilbon's point is valid, the lack of "quality basketball" or whatever doesn't make me enjoy the game any less. I still watched a ton of college hoops this year despite the fact that it could have been better with all those one-and-done players now in the NBA. Sure, it makes a difference, but not THAT much of a difference in the quality of play. Still some damn exciting games.

3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

He doesn't know college hoops this year. I have heard him fucking say it on podcasts this winter. He follows the NBA.

If knowing Patrick Ewing and Reggie Williams and Lefty Driesell is knowing college hoops, then he's a motherfucking expert.

Listen to Kornheiser's podcast from, oh, two days ago. March 14. Media talking heads delude themselves into thinking that if they watch a couple game on tv, they're experts. Wilbon says he didn't even do that this year.

But he followed the Big East in 1985, so he can opine on the state of college hoops in 2011. Okay.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Look, there is SO much college basketball on TV in this great land of ours, you could watch five games a week and only know a little bit about the tournament field -- if you specialize in one or two conferences, as I did watching the Big East and, to a far lesser extent, the ACC this year. And I only watched a lot in February. For most sports fans, college basketball is a minor, minor sport until the tournament. "Experts" are like substitute teachers. They only have to be a page ahead of their audience.

5. SteveRep44

SteveRep44 Member

They should take a cue from golf and match some of these teams with a non-scoring marker.

My brackets will be of an incendiary nature by about Sunday. I wouldn't be surprised if I have 9 or 10 of the Sweet 16.

Just give me some good finishes and lots o' Gus. I should probably set up a favorites list on my cable box where I scroll through nothing but the four channels.

6. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

Not stars but the starting SF and the backup point guard who hit a game-winning tourney game shot. They weren't chopped liver.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

He's covered every NCAA Tournament since 1982. Yes, he knows more about the NBA. He also has a pretty good perspective on NCAA Tournament fields over the last 29 years.

8. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Once they tip off the first game Thursday, who gives a shit about the strength of the field? Everyone's still going to watch.

Draft saved Draft deleted