1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Worst tournament field ever?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Mar 15, 2011.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The Florida teams that went back-to-back have already collectively had a better NBA career than those Duke teams did.

2. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Deadspin brought this up the other day, but it begs the question - is ESPN doing everything in their power to show they're still pissed about not getting the NCAA rights?

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Yes.

We all know that the folks at the WWL are much more likely to negatively critique an event they don't broadcast.

4. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Ideal tournament: lots of upsets early, best four teams in the Final Four.

5. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Douchebag Greenburg was saying that CBS showing all the games was a bad thing. He used some dumbass argument that he would like CBS to make switches so he wouldn't have to but it was code for ESPN would do it better.

A good tournament is one with high quality basketball. Upsets make for intrigue but doesn't make good basketball.

6. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I didn't read the article, but since when does Wilbon cover college bball?

7. Mizzougrad96

I prefer it when one No. 1 seed loses during the opening weekend. I like it when the best team wins the title.

One of the best tournaments I can remember was in 2000 when the Final Four had a No. 1, a No. 5, a No. 8 and a No. 9.

But, the Final Four did kind of suck that year, even if the best team won.

8. Mizzougrad96

I wonder how many tournaments in a row the guy has covered. My over/under would be about 30.

He was the Georgetown beat writer when Ewing was there. He knows a thing or two about college hoops.

9. poindexter

Oh, I didn't know the article was about Ewing and the 1985 tournament.

I thought it was about this year's teams.

10. Mizzougrad96

I'm saying there are few columnists out there who know college hoops as well as Wilbon.

11. poindexter

Who gives a shit about columnists? I bet there are one hundred bloggers who follow the sport *now* and know whats going on *now*.

I listened to a Tony Kornheiser podcast a couple of weeks ago. Tony was talking to Wilbon.

Tony: You watch any college hoops this weekend?
    Wilbon: Yeah, I watched a couple minutes of the BYU game

Yikes.

Who the fuck cares what columnists say? Unless he is in the trenches, his word is pretty much as informative as the next guy on a message board.

12. mb

mb Active Member

Worst tournament field ever? Don't know and don't care. Play ball.

Draft saved Draft deleted