1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Worst Team to Win a Championship

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Guy_Incognito, Jul 19, 2012.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

He is the second-to-last baseball player? Like, ever? Shit! I'm going to hate seeing that!

In 2010 Timmy already had his ticket punched. You're applying 2013 knowledge to 2010 thought, and I guarantee nobody was lobbing those criticisms of Lincecum at the time.

Look at Joe Mauer. After 2009 there was no chance he wouldn't make the Hall. Now it looks like a fairly small chance that he will.

2. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

too early to judge either way

3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Same Joe Mauer who's hitting .318/.402/.475 and is throwing out 41% of runners this season? Yeah, no way that softie makes it to the Hall of Fame.

4. daman

daman New Member

Catchers who finish careers with 2,500+ hits, a .320 average, .400 OBP, an MVP, four batting titles and 10 All-Star games make the Hall of Fame.

5. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

11 months later you finally get around to responding to that post?

So the team that went 35-5 against the nation's fourth toughest schedule (http://www.warrennolan.com/basketball/2010/sos), swept both the ACC regular season and tourney titles, earned a No. 1 seed, AND won the national championship--in other words, won EVERYTHING they could possibly win that year--somehow "sucked ass."

And don't even get me started on how much that "piece of crap" 32-4, 15-1 in the ACC, national champion Maryland team sucked ass.

Screw what the actual facts indicate, if Zag says those teams sucked ass, then they must've sucked ass.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

All righty then -- at age 30, he's a little more than halfway! (1,367 hits) If he keeps up the same rates for the next 10 years and if you still treat him fully as a catcher when he has been playing less than half his games there the last couple of seasons before this one.

At least on bb-ref, the numbers are incomplete. He will have to be behind the plate quite a bit more than he has been and will have to stay there.

Anyway, not exactly the central point of my train of thought with Lincecum/Posey, but I forget that people do loves them some Joe Mauer here. I will rend garments on this very site when he makes it in 2028. Check back.

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

So two posters make points about Mauer based in statistics and your response is to call "fanboy? Sorry if I 'm misreading, but when you say that it's about people loving the guy, that is how it sounds.

Mauer is an odd one because that 2009 season was such a anomaly. I think plenty of people knew to wait and see if the power was real and sustainable, which it obviously wasn't. That said, he certainly has a shot at the Hall of Fame even if he doesn't have another power spike in him.

In that sense, he is somewhat like Lincecum in that there were reasons to question him long term even at his peak. In Linecum's case, there were concerns about his delivery before he even arrived in the major leagues. Plenty of folks got quieter about that when he was dominating, but the thought was always there.

8. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

This is why you wait until after a player retires and consider his entire career. Lots of guys have good years and bad years. How does it average out?

9. BenPoquette

BenPoquette Active Member

I think it's funny that Ben Curtis won the British when, a couple years before, I was playing against him in a scramble at Fox' Den in the Kent area...talk about finding it. And Beem has dropped out of sight, but I think he has had some problems dealing with Steve Duplaintis' death....his former caddy that was killed in an accident (hit by a car).
    Worst major champion, without question, was Orville Moody. Won the 1969 US Open after making the field through local qualifiers. It was his only career win on the PGA Tour. This is not debatable...only one career win and it is a major, that makes him the worst major champion in history.

Draft saved Draft deleted