1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Worst Super Bowl player of all time

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Jan 9, 2008.

1. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Every QB that suited up for Denver sucked in Super Bowl XII. Morton, Craig Penrose, Norman Weese, Charley Johnson, Bubby Brister ...

2. Max Lane's nearly getting Bledsoe killed against the Packers is right up there.
    So is Tony Eason's turtle act against the Bears.

3. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Some would argue Thomas deserved the MVP in XXV anyway. I'll stay out of that, since my bias is clear.

XXV: Tie between Kelly, who now admits he should have called more running plays, and the four Pro Bowl defenders who couldn't make a stop on third-and-long. Thank you all for not picking the easy-but-wrong answer, Norwood.
    XXVI: No goats in Buffalo, because Washington was just that damn good. The concussed Kelly probably shouldn't have played the second half.
    XXVII: Again, tough to pick someone out, because that team needed a miracle just to get out of the wild-card round. Kelly and Reich for their turnovers, perhaps, but I'll go with corners J.D. Williams and Nate Odomes for their cameo appearances in Mike Irvin's highlight reel.
    XXVIII: Thurman's fumble.

4. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

The late Norris Weese

5. Simon_Cowbell

Dunno if Jonathan Odgen could have stopped Reggie White indoors.

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Defense was on field too long because the Bills could never establish the run. Here is summary of Thomas work in SB's 26/27/28 - not very impressive for a guy that the Bills needed to have big games.

Here is good summary from wikipedia

Super Bowl XXVI
    Thomas is noted for a mishap in Super Bowl XXVI. Thomas has a pre-game ritual where he places his helmet at the 40-yard line prior to a game. Prior to the game, his helmet was moved in order for the stage to be set up for Harry Connick, Jr. to perform the national anthem. This caused Thomas to worry on where his helmet was, causing him to miss Buffalo's first two offensive plays (one was a botched running play to Kenneth Davis, the other was a weak run to Davis). He went on to gain just 13 rushing yards and a touchdown on 10 carries. He also caught 4 passes for 27 yards[1].

Super Bowl XXVII
    For the second year in a row, Thomas had a dismal performance in the Super Bowl. He scored the first points of the game for his team on a 2-yard touchdown run, but was limited to just 19 rushing yards on 11 carries and 4 receptions for 10 yards in Buffalo's 52-17 loss to the Dallas Cowboys. He also committed a costly fumble that was converted into a Dallas touchdown.

However, it must be noted that Thomas was still recovering from a hip injury he suffered in the first game of the postseason. As a result, running back Kenneth Davis got the majority of carries in the game.

[edit] Super Bowl XXVIII
    Thomas had yet another disappointing Super Bowl performance in this game, which the Bills lost to the Cowboys 30-13. He scored the only touchdown of the game for his team, but was limited to just 37 rushing yards on 16 carries. He was a reliable target as a receiver out of the backfield, catching 7 passes for 52 yards but he lost 2 fumbles that led to 10 Dallas points. The second fumble came at the start of the second half, and it was returned for a game tying touchdown that swung the momentum for the Cowboys. Thomas's performance in the AFC title game prior to the Super Bowl was far better. In the Bills 30-13 win over the Kansas City Chiefs, he rushed for 186 yards, caught 2 passes for 22 yards, and scored 3 touchdowns.

7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Jimmy Orr is STILL wide open . . . and waving his arms like crazy.

So until further notice, Earl Morrall in Super Bowl III is the leader in the clubhouse.

8. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Morrall's got two rings (with big assists from Johnny U. and Griese, but still). How does that make him worse than Tarkenton?

9. Simon_Cowbell

I wouldn't say Earl got much of an assist from Griese at all in 1972.

THAT is what makes the perfect season so incalcuable... almost entirely done with the backup QB.

10. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I meant just in the Super Bowl. Griese played the whole game. But you're right, they wouldn't have gotten there without ole buzzcut ...

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

True, but it was also a very different game than it is now. Offenses were far more reliant on the run and the rule changes that opened up the passing game were years away at that point.

Not that quarterback play didn't matter, but an NFL team is a hell of a lot less likely to have that kind of success without its quarterback now than it was then.

12. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Thomas did deserve the MVP for Super Bowl XXV . . . . .

Based on regular-season performance that year and reputation coming in thanks to that performance, Rich Gannon for the Raiders was the worst Super Bowl performer of my lifetime. Five interceptions (half his regular-season NFL MVP total), three returned for scores. "I forgot to check the safeties," was his excuse later.

Yes, I'm biased. But I'm shocked he didn't make the list yet.

Draft saved Draft deleted