1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Worst Super Bowl player of all time

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Jan 9, 2008.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Fair enough, but I wasn't considering performances in other Super Bowls. Just what the guy did in the single game. And those Raiders were good, but they weren't the '85 Bears. I agree with you there. Eason was bad, but he never had a chance in that game.

2. outofplace

Maybe, but the Redskins took control of that game with Doug Williams' big second quarter passing. Smith got a lot of his yardage running out the clock in the second half.

The nose tackle on that team was Greg Kragen. They played a 3-4, so there was no true middle linebacker, though Karl Mecklenberg was probably the top defender on that team and he played one of the ILB spots. But I don't think you can put that much of the blame on those two. The entire Denver defense was dominated that day.

3. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Smith had 131 yards in the first half, plus a 25 yarder that was called back, but I agree with the rest of this.

4. outofplace

That's what I get for trusting my memory. But didn't Williams throw five touchdown passes in the second quarter?

5. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Smith had a 58-yard TD run and Doug had four TD passes, three of them beautiful bombs.

To me, Williams always... from 1978 till the end... threw the prettiest, most effortless 50+-yard passes ever.

Sure, he could never throw a screen pass... and once spiked the ball on fourth down to stop the clock against the defending-champ Steelers at the end of a 3-point game in 1980 (day after Lindsay Scott's miracle), but man, could he hum that fucker on a virgin-tight spiral 70 yards on the flick of his wrist.

6. outofplace

Thanks. I knew he went off that quarter and the Redskins scored five touchdowns to blow it open.

He did throw a pretty ball. He also had one of the better pass-blocking lines I've seen that year and fantastic receivers.

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Maybe the worst "player" was the defensive coordinator for Denver that day.

8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Gibbs won Super Bowls with three different QBs and many different running backs.

Wasn't it the same offensive line?

If it was, that's the greatest O-line in NFL history. Steelers included.

9. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

Worst performance by a winning QB in Super Bowl history had to be Ben Roethlisberger in Detroit two years ago. The best pass by a Steeler in that game was thrown by Antwaan Randel-El. Roethlisberger's pick that was run back turned momentum to the Seahawks.

10. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Hmm...Tony Lilly, Karl Mecklenburg, Tom Jackson, Rulon Jones, Steve Foley...take your pick of the Broncos' defense from the losing Super Bowls.

11. outofplace

A bit off topic, but definitely true. That interception was nearly a killer. The receiver was open. All Roethlisberger had to do was put a little loft on the throw to get it over the defender for a game-clinching touchdown. I remember being surprised because he had hit on almost the exact same throw for a touchdown in the AFC Championship.

In fact, the fact that the Steelers won might be the only thing keeping him away from one of the top spots on the list that inspired this thread. He was tremendous in the three playoff games to get the Steelers to Detroit, but just awful on the big day.

12. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Who was the Falcons DB who got busted for trying to buy a blowjob the night before the big game, then got torched by Elway and Rod Smith?

Whoever he is, he gets my vote.

Draft saved Draft deleted