1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Worst Super Bowl ... EVAR

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Simon_Cowbell, Jan 25, 2008.

?

I will put in the routs, but to me, watching a truly great team do its thing isn't nearly as bad as

1. II (Packers 33, Raiders 14)

1 vote(s)
    2.8%
  2. IV (Chiefs 23, Vikings 7)

1 vote(s)
    2.8%
  3. VI (Cowboys 24, Dolphins 3)

2 vote(s)
    5.6%
  4. XII (Cowboys 27, Broncos 10)

5 vote(s)
    13.9%
  5. XXVI (Redskins 37, Bills 24)

5 vote(s)
    13.9%
  6. One of the 35+-point routs (XX, XXIV, XXVII)

22 vote(s)
    61.1%
  1. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Worst as a fan? XX. If I were NRA and Tony Eason ever came within 200 yards of me...
    Worst objectively? XXXV. Never have I seen a Super Bowl team phone it in like the Giants did that day.
    Worst experience? XXIV. Having just gone to Connecticut where I knew nobody for a job I would be fired from three months later, I figured I'd go out to a bar to watch it. Place was empty, like the world knew this would be no contest. Not even any Steve Young fans.

2. pallister

pallister Guest

I disagree.

3. Gold

Gold Active Member

Super Bowl IV was a pretty interesting game. It showed the Jets victory was no fluke and that the AFL was better than people imagined. That KC Chiefs team was an interesting team to watch. When I saw that game included as one of the candidates for the worst, I said "No Way". Super Bowl V was far worse as both teams were inept and even a last-second field goal didn't bring excitement to the game.

The 49ers against the Chargers was probably the worst. SF had defeated San Diego easily during the regular season - by more than 20 points - and then scored quickly and removed any suspense.

4. times38

times38 Member

absolutely. there were 17 punts in that game.

5. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

29. Super Bowl XXXVII (Tampa Bay 48, Oakland 21)

This should be near the bottom with Giants/Ravens. I'm pretty sure I nodded off during the second half.

6. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

My memories of the Tampa Bay-Oakland game include practically EVERYONE I came across predicting Oakland would win easily. I felt like I was the only person picking Tampa Bay.

They also include feeling a sense of vindication as Tampa Bay took that huge lead. Then again, they also include my overhearing a guy say something was "gay," at which I immediately looked up. His response? He immediately put his hand in front of him and said, "I'm sorry. I didn't mean it like that." But I digress.

7. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Three TDs in 36 seconds. The Ravens' defense on all cylinders.

Uncompetitive, but not close to the worst game.

8. pallister

pallister Guest

That game was like watching a 115-32 women's college basketball game. Arguably the least competitive professional showcase event I've ever had the misfortune to witness.

9. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

With the extremely mortal Bill Callahan roaming the Oakland sidelines, a win for Tampa Bay was all but assured.

10. I'm only 26, so my Super Sunday experience began with the Niners pasting the Broncos in the Superdome and I thought "Gosh, it can't get much worse than this."

11 years later, I was proven wrong. I think the celebration in the Meadowlands after the NFC title game beat down of the Vikes was so raucous because everyone knew the Giants had about as much chance of beating the Ravens as I do of sleeping with Gabrielle Union. Just a pitiful game to watch, I think I went to my grandma's high-rise and helped her cook her Sunday dinner after the first five minutes of the second quarter.

11. Yodel

Yodel Active Member

That one is my favorite, though I doubt anyone would call it the best game.

12. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I don't think anyone realized how bad Bill Callahan was as a head coach at the time. I didn't, but I thought Tampa Bay would win the game long before kickoff.

I'm not a betting man, but if I were, I probably would have made a shitload of money on that game.

Draft saved Draft deleted