1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Worst Sports Leg Injuries

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Apr 1, 2013.

1. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

If you're squeamish, don't watch.

Joe Theismann:

Marcus Lattimore:

Shaun Livingston:

Tim Krumrie:

Napoleon McCallum:
  2. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

A lot of people don't remember Donnie Boyce, who was an absolute stud at Colorado in the mid-90s and broke his leg in the Big 8 Tournament. I don't know if there is any footage online and it wasn't as gruesome looking as some, but it was among the saddest.

The guy lost millions and millions of dollars that day. He was a guy who probably could played a decade in the NBA, but was never the same after. He wound up getting drafted in the second round and was on the Hawks roster briefly, then bounced around minor leagues and played with the Globetrotters for a while.
  3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Ruffian and Barbaro have to be on the list.
  4. Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell

Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell Active Member

5. UH receiver Patrick Edwards is another that comes to mind.

Not leg, but ankle, Jason Kendall, catcher for the Pirates.
  6. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

I remeber Krumrie and McCallum's. Awful. So was Livingston's. Theisman's may be the first I remember seeing.

Have not seen Ware's, do not want to.

One of the worst I saw was a quarterback for Eastern Kentucky in 1990. He was running, got hit at the ankle, and it broke, it looked like his skin twisted around the leg twice and his foot was pointing backwards up in the wait while he was laying on his front. Gruesome. Words can't describe it.

I have trouble watching guys roll their ankles since I've done it so many times. So if I never see another leg injury, that's fine with me.
  7. Boom_70

Isn't an ankle considered part of a leg?

Not a break but any male watching the 1968 MLB All Star game felt a twinge when
    Harmon Killebrew tore his hammy stretching for a ball at 1B

8. When you break your ankle is it referred to as a broken leg?
  9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Graphic nature aside - if you were a top level athlete would you rather have a broken leg or an ACL? The tragedy of the Ware injury wasn't so much the injury, but the obviousness of it and where it happened. And that so many people saw it.
  10. Boom_70

The header is "Worst Sports Leg Injuries" Not Worst Sports Broken Legs" I don't think that you needed the qualifier.
  11. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Don't forget Prothro.
  12. Smash Williams

Smash Williams Well-Known Member

My understanding is breaks generally have a quicker recovery time than ligament issues (i.e., sprains and tears). That obviously doesn't necessarily hold true for something like an open, compound fracture which involves a lot of other things outside of the bones.

There's video out there for Kurtis Foster and Taylor Fedun shattering their femurs, but since their upper legs are hidden in hockey pants, it's not as graphic as many posted here. If forced to choose, I'd break my lower leg 100 times out of 100 before a femur fracture though, particularly the complex nature these guys had. Foster lost a significant amount of blood in his 10-hour surgery to fix it as well.
Draft saved Draft deleted