1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Worst sports announcers

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by pffft, Mar 21, 2011.

1. Amen, Crimson. I think it was Vin Scully who said he used an egg timer. When the grains ran out, he gave the score and turned over the timer. Seems so simple, but the great ones make it look simple.

2. wedgewood

wedgewood Member

Sterling and Waldman for me. It's so bad it's almost good. I always envision Sterling as a deranged teenage Yankee fanatic babysitting his 8-year-old sister and forcing her to do the color commentary, smacking her with a flyswatter when she screws it up.

Most of the color guys in NFL are like listening to car alarms, Moose Johnston and Matt Millen at the top of the list. Thank god for the mute button.

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Jon Miller does the same thing. Both learned the trick from Red Barber.

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Believe me, I hate the sonofabitch, and I'm not alone.

5. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

For anyone in Michigan or anyone who watches Detroit Tigers telecasts, there is this guy named Rod Allen. He repeats the same things over and over that people have even created a drinking game after the dumb shit he says. It's funny until like the 5th inning, then you want to mute him. He is not play-by-play though.

6. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Haven't seen much of The Hawk in recent years, but watched him a lot with Paciorek back in the day on WGN. Both of them were insufferable with their fucking picks to click, constant use of nicknames and endless stories of their fucking golf games.

I did love Brennaman and Stone on Cubs games in those days.

No fan of Buck Martinez as the PBP guy on Jays telecasts. he is a pretty good colour guy - and was tremendous working on Jays games back in the day with Dan Shulman - but he just seems out of his element as a PBP guy. His wheezing fucking laugh drives me nuts too.

7. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

We need a worst sports writers thread.

8. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Thank God Jerry Glanville is coaching the Hartford franchise in that minor league. Worst NFL color guy I've ever heard - we used to get stuck with him on Patriots preseason games.

9. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

White Sox have a horrific history of radio talent. Bob Elson was unspeakable. Always liked Milo Hamilton, but aside from one or two others, it's been a weird, lowbrow half-century.

10. Raiders

Raiders Guest

Sean McDonough makes my list. Never injects any emotion. I guess, to him, it's the mark of a total professional to stay calm at all times, but I like an announcer who rises to meet the drama of the big games. McDonough, to me, sounds like he's reading from a phone book.

11. Quakes

Quakes Guest

Really? I'm not saying you have to like the guy, but that seems like a strange criticism of Sean McDonough. He's no Gus Johnson, but he's far from a phone-book reader. Here's but one example:

12. SteveRep44

SteveRep44 Member

Heard Ken Daniels for the first time in Tuesday's Caps-Flyers game on Versus.

Didn't register all that strong of a first impression. Is it just that I'm not accustomed to his style?

Draft saved Draft deleted