1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Worst sports announcers

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by pffft, Mar 21, 2011.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

If they came on as a trio today they would be mocked unmercifully.

Gifford for his abundance of mistakes, Meredith for not taking anything seriously and Cosell for his snobbishness and for taking the telecast on bizarre tangents.

2. service_gamer

service_gamer Well-Known Member

Bob Lamey

www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPP4iyNE0RQ

3. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

I've got no problem with Joe Buck--I think he delivers a solid pbp and gives a good description of what's happening. I don't need a bunch of over the top emotion from an announcer--you describe what happens and I'll decide my appropriate emotional response. The qualifier here is I grew up listening to his dad, so that probably gives him a free pass from me anyway.

Which brings me to Gus Johnson--he would have made this list for me a while back, but I guess he's growing on me. Kind of in a fungus type of way. Now, if there was a closer role in announcing where you could transport an announcer in for the unbelievable and incredible finishes, he would be that guy.

Current worst--Thom Brenneman. At least on football. Trainwreck is being kind. When I as a viewer see something that the pbp guy is unsure of or flat out wrong--multiple times per game--dude, you're out of your league.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Buck isn't bad when he's mentally into the game. Give him a Super Bowl and he's tolerable. Too many times, though, it seems like he's checking his e-mail or wondering what he'll have for dinner and just isn't there mentally.
    I don't need Gus Johnson-level enthusiasm, but at least make it sound like you give a crap. We're spending three hours with you at what amounts to a weekly get-together to watch the game. The least you can do is not be the guy who complains about the snack selection and calls his other buddies every 10 minutes to see if they're doing something cooler you can latch on to.

5. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

No (lack of) love for Darrell Waltrip? I liked him as a NASCAR driver and car owner, couldn't stand him in the booth. Granted I haven't watched it for years so maybe he's improved, but his boogity x3 crap got old real quick.

6. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

I absolutely, positively cannot listen to a game that Vitale does.

7. Double J

Double J Active Member

Jack Edwards, Boston Bruins, NESN. Just an embarrassment.

8. dieditor

dieditor Member

Maybe that's why I can't stand Joe. Jack was my freaking hero. Professional, not over the top, but you always got the impression that he cared about the game he was doing.

9. Precious Roy

Precious Roy Active Member

Bob Barry Sr. is terrible
    check that
    no wait he really is that bad.

10. bigbadeagle

bigbadeagle Member

Kevin Harlan. As bad as he is on TV, he's even worse on radio. Didn't think it was possible. But it are.
    Gus Johnson. Ha HA! NCAA TOURNAMENT! CBS SPORTS! LET ME SHOW YOU MY OOOHHH MMMYYY GOODDNNESSS FACE! (Sorry. Got carried away. Kinda like ... GUS JOHNSON!)
    Doc Walker. Thank God he's not doing ACC football anymore. He's a cyborg!

Yeah, Dickie V has way jumped the shark when doing games. But he's one of the nicest guys you'd ever want to meet.

11. Surprised at this comment (Elmore, not Wenzel). I always find Len intelligent to listen to. No schtick, which I find refreshing from an analyst. Good insights on what play should be run next and why, gets into the nitty gritty of plays.

12. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

Don't get me started ... biggest pet peeve I have, and it's not just HS crews. You'll hear highly-decorated, multiple award-winning announcers who can go a half-hour without ever mentioning the score.

I try to make sure we give the score at least every 3-4 plays (in football) or every time it changes (in hoops). Whether or not we suck at our actual pxp call is up to our listeners (I think we're pretty solid, especially for a small fry webstreamer ... shameless plug: www.hancockcountysports.com), but you'll at least know what the heck is going on in a game.

Anyone who can't give the time/score at least every couple of minutes needs to have their headset yanked off :).

Draft saved Draft deleted