1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Worst Sporting event you've attended???

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by mustangj17, Jan 29, 2008.

1. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

World Games for the Deaf

2. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Covered: A local charity fishing tournament.

Attended: Probably Tennessee at Georgia in 2006. I still haven't purged my mind of Rocky Top. Probably never will.

3. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I wonder what was worse for the fans. The third degree burns or the watching soccer?

4. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

Mine would be 3 of the 4 WNBA games I went to, but I also attended games in a sucky-not-so-supportive-of-women's-hoops city.

5. ralph wiggum

ralph wiggum Member

Worst as a fan? I'll have to get back to that. Plenty of bad baseball in the 80s going to Mariners games, but none are jumping out at me right now.

Worst I covered would have to be a meaningless high school all-star basketball game played a couple weeks after the state tournament. And this was not a good all-star game with DI caliber players, but the one with all the leftovers. To make matters worse, it was an hour drive away and I was hungover as hell for the first couple of game (yes, there were more than one). Good times.

6. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I was too young to cover these and had never attended an NFL game at that time in my life, but I would imagine covering and attending the old Playoff Bowl games must have been torture.

The "Playoff Bowl" was played between the two losers of the NFL semifinal games. Kind of like they used to play a third-place game in the NCAA hoops tourney.

Is anyone here old enough to have covered a Playoff Bowl?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Playoff_Bowl

7. Smash Williams

Smash Williams Well-Known Member

Worst as a fan was a great game but still painful to think about - a 5OT loss in the NHL playoffs. I was at the arena for eight hours. If my team would have won, it would have been wonderful.

As it was, there was no emotional payoff, and I failed my chemistry test the next day. Fuck that game.

Worst to cover would have to be one of the stinker Arena Football games I sat through. The final score was always something like 65-20,and I'd have to sit through three hours of bits, fireworks and other assorted noise.

8. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

Surprisingly, not a soccer match. A girls district basketball game, where it was 2-0!!!!!! after the first quarter. I almost cried.

9. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

First thing: BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

The worst game I covered was a high school baseball game that was 3-2 in the fifth inning. Both pitchers were still in there and both were working on no-hitters.

10. What?

11. South Shore Mass. peeps will appreciate this one: Late '80s Sunday afternoon Cranberry League doubleheader at Legion Field in Bridgewater. First game goes extras with a 15-14-like score. Second game--let's just say it was worse than that...

12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Worst games I have covered: Any game where the coach is crying in sorrow when I am trying to ask them questions because I am on a deadline. That has happened to me three times, and the first was the 3-4th game I ever covered. Nothing like talking to a crying grown man.

All three times it was high school coaches.

Worst attended as a fan: WVU/Notre Dame Fiesta Bowl, National Title on the line. Major Harris hurt his leg early in the game, and my buddy and I cannot figure out whey he seemed so terrible. We just didn't know he was hurt.

Oh, it was a free ticket.

I cannot say a NHL/NBA game because I am not stupid enough to pay money to see those bums in the regular season.

I also saw Sedale Threat drop 36 or so on the Suns and Barkley, and Phoenix lost the home playoff game.

Draft saved Draft deleted