1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Worst Sporting event you've attended???

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by mustangj17, Jan 29, 2008.

1. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

What is the worst sporting event you have attended? Both for level of suckiness, or because your team lost and you wanted to cry?

I'll start;

Worst event: I attended 16 games of the Tigers terrible '03 season where they only won like 41 games or something. Obviously they lost all the games I went to. Including games that went into 11 innings and 13 innings.

Worst feeling after event I attended: Appalachian St. over Michigan.

I remember thinking that eventually Michigan would win. And then I was like here it is the winning field goal, except Michigan kickers always suck. Then it got blocked. And my friend, who is a casual fan turns, and says to me "THAT CANT HAPPEN, ITS MICHIGAN."

I don't think I talked for the next two hours. The next morning when I woke up, I remember everything being okay. I walked downstairs, got on the treadmill and said "SHIT, that really did happen."

The same thing happened for like two weeks. Sometimes I didn't believe it was really true.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

Anything with the world "field" before "hockey."

Actually, anything with the word "hockey." NHL games are OK enough but the high school "action" in my neck of the woods was just fuckin brutal.

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

The 1996 Reds season opener when John McSherry dropped dead behind the plate. Doesn't get much worse than that.

4. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

i had a field hockey beat freshmen year in college.

sigh

5. My very first baseball game with my father.
    Damp, drizzly awful day in September. On their way to losing 100 games again, the Sox are at Fenway in front of about 800 of us. I can't even remember who they were playing -- the KC A's, I think -- and it was about 11-1 in the fifth and my father said, "Let's get the hell out of here." I couldn't have been happier.

Hey, dad. Wanna have a catch?

6. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

You could be in the first row at this game...

Or you could be on the field during this...

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

Shit. For a while there I thought you were going to say you left Dave Morehouse's no-hitter.

8. Danny Noonan

Danny Noonan Member

A girls high school basketball tournament game in northern Kentucky once where one team held the ball almost the entire game. It was something like 4-3 at halftime and 10-8 for a final score or something ridiculous.

9. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

None of the college or pro games I've covered really stand out, but two from my prep beat days in Mississippi do:

1. In 1997, one of our local football teams went 0-10 and was outscored something like 450-35 for the season. In the regular-season finale, they played perennial powerhouse Taylorsville, which then featured sophomore quarterback Jason Campbell. I show up for the game (mainly to see Campbell play), but he, as well as most of the other starters, are in street clothes. Taylorsville still wins 35-0.

2. Unlike most other states, Mississippi runs its soccer season concurrent with basketball, meaning the playoffs are in February. I was at a local girls playoff game, where the temperature was near 20 with flurries. The home team had one of those propane jet-type heaters on the sideline. Along about the second half, it caught on fire. The coach had to race over and cut the gas off before it exploded. I wanted to go home and shoot myself after that one.

10. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Small town high school diving.

11. John

John Well-Known Member

NHRA Southern Nationals.

12. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Tie:
    Oct. 14, 2003. Game 6, NLCS. Marlins 8, Cubs 3. Fuck Alex Gonzalez.
    Aug. 9, 2001. My 20th birthday. Rockies 14, Cubs 5. Fuck Julian Tavarez.

Draft saved Draft deleted