1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Worst "Sport" to write about

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Beef03, Mar 11, 2007.

1. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Man, that's entirely too much running to do for a sports writer.

We used to joke, at my last rag (located, conveniently enough, in the heart of the Texas prison system), that we ought to release a couple of inmates and station them around the track. That'll speed up that cross country meet.

2. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

I agree with you... it is entirely too much running for a writer to do.
    Next fall I'm hoping to extend my streak to 19 years in the business without covering a cross country meet.

3. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

women's hoops

4. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Women's hoops, when its played well, can be great to watch.
    But there are those that hate it. In the late 80s, between games of a women's-men's college hoops doubleheader (these happen at D-III schools) a sports radio commentator, who had just arrived said to me in refenrence to his dislike of women's basketball "watching women's basketball is like watching two white guys box"

5. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

A long-distance bike race in a rural area.

You see them start. You see them finish. Period.

6. CitizenTino

CitizenTino Active Member

Track and field. I absolutely abhor it. Meets take forever to get through, and 90 percent of the meet is standing around waiting for the next event to start. Boring, repetitive and seemingly endless. And I ran track for three years in high school.

Ironically, I actually like cross country. Relatively little time between races, a lot more adventure with the different courses and the elements can play more of a factor. And if you're willing to put on sneakers and actually move around to the different points on the course, it's a lot better.

Draft saved Draft deleted