1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Worst "Sport" to write about

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Beef03, Mar 11, 2007.

1. Central-KY-Kid

Central-KY-Kid Well-Known Member

"the only thing worse than track is field"

Wasn't it Jones Ramsey, former Texas SID?

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=%22than+track+is+field%22+Jones+Ramsey&btnG=Search

2. ripthejacker

ripthejacker New Member

The darts and bowling league feature probably takes the cake, but I recently covered a tri-meet wrestling event. At the ultra-competitive event, tens of 112-pound backup varsity boys wrestlers from the local, rural area competed in a match where noone kept score because the "tri-meet" didn't actually count towards anything.

I had a blast.

3. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

field hockey. hands down. don't understand it, although I tried. penalty strokes? sorry.

While an undergrad at UConn I specifically went to a game to study it. I thought I had figured out but there were so many goddamn whistles I had no idea what was called when.

I did the same with jai alai (study, not cover, thank god) and it began making sense soon thereafter. Field hockey? Nope.

4. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

Somebody had a great Duck, Duck, Goose story back in the EssJay day ...

5. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Cross country, wrestling and power lifting....ugh!

6. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Field hockey is easy to cover once you understand the game. It's easier to explain while watching than it is in trying to type in descriptions. I was fortunate in that the college I went to is a D-III powerhouse in field hockey so I picked up some of the sport there. Then when I had to cover high school field hockey as a beat, I wound up at the same game early in the season as the veteran field hockey writer (20+ years of doing it, he'd rather cover field hockey than football) from the competition. Friendly guy and during the course of that one game he explained pretty much anything I'd ask about and I figured out why the whistle blew when he'd complain there shouldn't have been one.

7. EStreetJoe

The darts story was a feature. The bowling story was a "game story" on the tournament results from that day... team scores and standings, quotes from the bowlers, a paragraph or two of play-by-play (strikes in a row, the tough spare converted, etc.).

8. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

:eek:

9. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

I loved HS cross country. The entire race is over in less than 25 minutes. Talk to the winners, runners up, team winning coach and you're done. Get a few quotes about the weather, the course and, after writing the story, your day is over in about 2 hours.

Just don't forget to get copies of that agate!!!

10. EStreetJoe

What's so shocking about that?

11. EStreetJoe

Did you do what a friend of mine would do when covering a cross country meet. This friend would be at the starting line for the start, then run through a different part of the park (or wherever the race was being held) to catch the runners at the 1 or 1-1/4 mile mark to see who was in the lead; then take another shortcut to around the 2 mile mark to see how the race was progressing at that point, and then another shortcut back to the finish line to see the winners cross the line.

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

The self-described "World's Tallest Fat Man"

Draft saved Draft deleted