1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Worst "Sport" to write about

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Beef03, Mar 11, 2007.

1. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Now I am using the term sport liberally here, I don't really consider it a sport yet somehow it ends up being something I have to cover – Synchronized swimming. I have been staring at the screen for the past hour and a half, and nothing. No other quasi-sport does this to me quite so baddly. I fucking hate this sport. Would rather cover a long distance pissing competition. It is just painful.

2. girl friday

girl friday Member

i've always hated wrestling. for the way macho men, especially high schoolers, go nuts at the slightest implication that they might be gay (not that there's anything wrong with that), it's all very homo-erotic to me. the holds, the unitards. it kinds gives me the heebie-jeebies.

when i covered high schools, i'd cover anything before i would go to a wrestling match.

3. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

try writing a feature on:
    A) the Darts league some of the local bars have
    or
    B) the big area bowling tournament

then get back to me on bad sports to write about.

4. audreyld

audreyld Guest

I think wrestling is sort of the very essence of sport, but that's an argument for another time.

I think anything that's judged is probably not a sport. An athletic competition, sure. But not really a sport.

5. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

As far as high school sports go, swimming and cross country were the worst for me...

6. John

John Well-Known Member

I hate writing about volleyball. Actually, it's not the writing I hate, it's covering volleyball that I loathe.

7. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

only high school sports I never covered in my 15 years as a high school writer were cross country, golf, volleyball, gymnastics and fencing.

8. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

I think I've covered every high school sport this state has to offer. Unless some of the far-west schools do rifle or something. But I've seen it all, including golf, volleyball, lacrosse (which I'd like to see become a much bigger sport here), field hockey, gymnastics and cross country. I have seen much.

9. "The only thing more boring than track is field."

Read that quote in a book a long time ago and never forgot it, though I have no idea who said it.

10. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

Apparently you haven't looked hard enough at the spandex shorts.

11. John

John Well-Known Member

I believe it was in a Dan Jenkins book.

12. Just a big book of sports quotes, if I remember correctly, that I read over and over when I was a boy ... so now I have hundreds of memorable quotes stuck in my memory without any idea who said them ...

Draft saved Draft deleted