1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Worst SID ever?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SEC Guy, Aug 27, 2008.

1. sg86

sg86 Member

I can GUARANTEE you that the man of which I am speaking makes more than enough money, and the only thing he was responsible for was football, making his hours more regular than most.

Then again he could make 18k and work 11pm-11am and he'd still be an asshole.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'll give the guys at the small colleges with no resources the benefit of the doubt.

It's the ones at the big schools who make our lives difficult just for the sake of doing so or not returning phone calls who should be called out.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Attitudes like that don't help.
    Someone comes at me with that kind of 'tude, I can tell a mile away.
    People who know how to deal with people get all the help they need out of this office.
    People who look at us like some kind of lower life form stick out like a sore thumb.

4. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

'Preciate the love!!

5. flopflipper

flopflipper Member

No, Jeff Nelson isn't a bad guy at all.

While fewer and fewer guys at the top schools are working both football and basketball (okay, almost none anymore), I dealt with an SID in football who was fantastic. I'd put him up against anyone. Two months later during basketball season he was nearly impossible to work with, although everyone knew it wasn't necessarily his fault because he had to deal with a difficult coach.

While it's nice when SIDs put media first, when it's all said and done it's the school that pays the SID's salary. With more and more young SIDs in the business it's made more difficult because it's tough for the younger SIDs to stand up against their ADs or coaches. It would be almost like a writer telling an editor he or she doesn't want to do something because he or she works for the paper's readers. Good luck with that.

6. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

And that's exactly why I didn't put a name with my post. Seemed really hypocritical for me to do so.

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Agreed. The problem there comes from Paterno and the AD's office.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

My dad went to MSU with Vista... sang the praises of both of them for years.

9. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

If you act like a decent human being and not as some sort of human barricade, you don't end up on this list. That said, I'll echo Mizzou in that the low-level guys don't deserve the heat. It's the guys who have the Associate AD titles and who act like assholes who deserve every inch of it. Those are the guys who make six-figures and who shit on guys making 25k.

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Outing alert: Cadet has been possessed by the spirit of Jason Whitlock.

By this logic, we cannot write anything critical of other members of the media or the athletes and coaches we deal with.

Take all that away and this place could get pretty quiet.

11. i'll side with cadet on this one thing -- there are a lot of low-level folks (the guy doing field hockey for some school which doesn't prioritize it and are getting paid $22k a year to work 36 hours a week, sans benefits) who aren't anything approaching "public figures" who could get skewered on this thread for no reason, other than s/he didn't hook up the podunk times with a feature on suzie swashbuckler.

12. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

Bob Knight's SID (and I use that term loosely) at Texas Tech supposedly didn't know that reporters needed to talk to players and coaches after games. He was a friend of the family and his appointment to that position had nothing to do with qualifications.

Also in Texas, the UIL has no time for you if you don't work in Dallas, Fort Worth, Houston, Austin or San Antonio. Which leaves every other paper in a large state getting treated like shit.

Draft saved Draft deleted