1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Worst SID ever?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SEC Guy, Aug 27, 2008.

1. bueller

bueller Member

An esteemed group, for sure. Some of that is because of lack of support from the schools.

After one football game in that league, I did my interviews and headed back to the press box. Halfway there, the SID crew met me walking the other way and carrying my computer bag. They said they were closing the press box, but I was welcome to write from their office across campus. No, thanks.

At least the SWAC people brought my things. In the non-SWAC department, I had a D3 game once where I returned to the press box to find just my stuff. Luckily, the phone lines still worked.

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Well, that was never a problem with Peter. He didn't have his stats done until 2 hours after the game. You had time to do your interviews -- assuming you grabbed anyone other than the coach on the field, because he only ever got the coach in the interview room -- and write your gamer, sidebar and second-day story before he finished the game book.

3. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Happened to me at a high-level FCS school ... and the phone lines DIDN'T work.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Any SID who sends out a results release after the game and either A). Forgets to put in the score. or B). Forgets to put in who won the game.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Past tense...
    Bid Nangle at Northern Illinois and Ken Hoffman at Michigan State... two bigger assholes you'll never find.

6. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

McClain was very bright, eager and helpful when he was the baseball SID. If you don't work for the WWL, he doesn't give a shit about you now.

7. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

I've always felt bad for the SWAC SIDs. Those guys have shit jobs.

8. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Don't really want to name names here.
    I've covered about two dozen Rose Bowls, every Big Ten SID ties for last. One time there was a news conference at Tournament House, me and a few others approached the SID to set up some interviews for the next few days. He said he had to go, he had to drive the coach back to the hotel. I said, why are YOU doing that? Are you the PR guy or the chauffeur? He didn't like that.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

True. I've run across some very good SIDs in the SWAC. The Alabama State crew is as good as any big school out there, at least from what I saw on game day. And the last couple SIDs at Alcorn have been pretty good. There's a difference, though, between being underpaid and underappreciated, and totally incompetent.

10. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

I also don't want to name names. But the guy I'm dealing with now is a full 180 from the guy who left after last season. He's up there.

11. How this thread has gone this long without Randy Farley from Texas Tech being mentioned is beyond comprehension.

Bob Knight's handpicked stooge who actually cut and pasted notes from a media guide in his first attempt at game notes. And I mean cut and paste as in scissors and Elmer's.

12. I don't want to name names either.

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted