1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Worst SID ever?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SEC Guy, Aug 27, 2008.

1. SEC Guy

SEC Guy Member

The best SID thread should be a short one because anyone who has ever met him knows it's Claude Felton.

How about worst?

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Moddy!

Someone had to say it. Might as well be me.

Now carry on with the rest of the thread.

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

The guy who used to eat out of a huge bowl of peanut M&Ms 24/7.

I don't want to mention names.

4. SEC Guy

SEC Guy Member

I've covered college football and basketball for two decades and the football SID, Steve McClain at Florida is the worst I've ever dealt with.

Florida has bad access in general, but the previous SIDs at Florida were about 1,000X better than McClain. Jeff Kamis and John Humenik were both professional. McClain is despised by the beat writers.

5. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

I was an SID at two schools before beginning my teaching gig, so I'm going to checking this thread regularly, hoping, hoping, hoping, that my name doesn't show up. I thought I did a good job, but you never know what others think.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I'll rent you the delete key for a price.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Flip Wilson fucking sucks. :D

8. define "worst."

there are some people who will say "xxxx is never helpful." well, xxxx probably has to bend over backward to appease the football coach, who would love nothing more than to see the pesky media avoid post-game press conferences and stop calling into that pesky mid-week teleconference.

9. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Worst for me would be inflating stats, say assists in basketball, for their home team. I'm thinking DIII and other lower levels tweeking stats.

For example, I remember seeing conference leaders in soccer and a certain keeper had like 200 saves in 12 games. The next closest had like 80. They were seemingly saying every time she touched the ball in play it was a save.

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Peter Forest.
    Used to be the SID at Alcorn State and Grambling. You'd set up an interview with a player, show up, and he'd just point you toward the practice field (assuming he remembered you were coming). Football media guides would routinely come out in November, the basketball guides in January. Somehow, it was always an issue with the printers. He'd drop off your credentials in person the night before instead of mailing them. If you asked for a photo pass, he'd always ask you to send him pictures.
    And, somehow, he was once SWAC SID of the year. I'd say he had pictures of someone, but he probably would've just mooched them off somebody.
    Just a nightmare in every aspect.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

So every SID at a non Division I school?

:D

12. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

I was going to say chlamydia, but then I read the thread title again.

Draft saved Draft deleted