1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Worst screw-up just after getting hired

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by wicked, Jan 2, 2011.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Dan Dakich

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/columnists/20020415smizik0415p1.asp

2. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

It might not be the worst, but I have to throw Josh McDaniels into the discussion.

We can debate the ability of Cutler until the cows come home, but really, when McDaniels took over, the Broncos had a few glaring weaknesses that needed to be addressed right away, and quarterback was not one of them. The coach's immediate attempt to court another QB, and the problems it caused, pretty much set the tone for McDaniels' brief tenure in Denver.

3. king cranium maximus IV

king cranium maximus IV Active Member

Billy Donovan right before taking Magic job: 3 Final Fours, 2 National Championships (in a row)

Billy Donovan since returning to Florida: 1 NCAA appearance, 2 NIT appearances

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Personally? In college worked a security job at a sprawling condo complex. My boss was showing me around on my first day and let me drive the golf cart. Didn't turn sharp enough on a turn and broke a lobby window. Oops. They kept me on for a couple of years until I moved away.

There was another guy who faked getting beaten up by some burglars a few months after me - so I guess they graded on a curve. They didn't keep him.

5. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Former Idaho State Journal SE Brady Slater getting fired from his new gig as SE at the Duluth News Tribune after getting busted for a DUI and marijuana possession.

6. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

A former SEC basketball player of some repute interviewed for the head coaching job at his high school alma mater, and it was considered just a formality. The principal and AD decided to consummate the hire with a round of golf before making the formal announcement. The new coach got drunk and threw up in a garbage can. He didn't get the job.

7. Only if one thinks Belichick screwed up by quitting the Jets, which would certainly be a curious position to take at this point.

8. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Solid.

9. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

I agree, even if the facts may not have matched the original stories.

10. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Domestic violence? Yawn.
    Hammered and asleep at the wheel at a stoplight? DING DING DING!!!

:)

Draft saved Draft deleted