1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Worst recurring stories you have to write

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Write-brained, Jan 27, 2008.

1. Yes. Sadly this will never go away.

I used to have go out every week and find four people to answer a question. Any question. Never have I or will I have a harder job. Finding four people who a) are educated about a current event b) have an opinion about said event and c) are willing to give their name and be photographed along with that opinion - can take hours. HOURS. You finally learn to dumb down the questions as much as possible, ie., What's your favorite color?

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Let you know in three weeks when soccer season starts.

3. Winner!
    The single biggest reason I left sports: the good old D-II signing story. Jesus H. Christ! If I had to write one more 12-inch story - with cheesedick photo (that I took!) - on (INSERT NAME HERE) little John Hometown signing with (INSERT SCHOOL HERE) Hillbilly Tech to play (INSERT SPORT HERE) football, I would have killed someone.
    They are all the same damn story. D-I I can understand, but D-II and even D-III (yeah our dumb asses write D-III "signing" stories!) just suck.
    On the news side, weather and gas stories suck.

4. mojo

mojo Member

Swimming, by far. I have a pretty good girls' program on my beat, and coverage is required. But NOTHING ever happens at a swim meet, unless it's a DQ or a diver getting injured.

Writing season previews for teams that I know are going to suck is also a painful exercise in diplomatic propaganda.

5. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

Fan stories. No question.
    "Your team here" is going all the way!
    "Your team here" played really hard!
    We have this crap every Sunday during football season. Totally pointless.

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Ummm... has anybody told your editor that Division III athletes don't "sign"?

7. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Season previews.

Who graduated.
    Who's back.
    Who's new.
    What style will they play.
    Who's their top competition.

I could sum up every season preview to those few questions.

I always try to find that angle that will be fresh or that a team's success or failure might hinge on, but damn if a season preview doesn't come down to those basic facts.

Your lead will be different, hopefully you'll have some interesting angle on the team, but that stuff goes into just about every preview.

8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I don't do this, but I'm guessing writing a Pittsburgh Pirates gamer, notes and a preview for anything they do past May 15th could be on this list.

9. awriter

awriter Active Member

Mine's blue. What's yours?

10. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I'll find it. There's a great line by Alan Robinson I saved somewhere.

11. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Alan Robinson, an AP writer in the Pittsburgh bureau, wrote about the Pirates' 5-4, 11-inning loss to the Diamondbacks on June 19, 2006, and I got a few kicks out of it. ...

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/recap?gid=260619123

12. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

The newspaper industry is going to Hell in a Lean Dean-monogrammed handbasket.

I'm just sayin'.

Draft saved Draft deleted