1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Worst QB to play in a Super Bowl?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Feb 6, 2012.

1. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Joe Willie

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

In his defense, Eason did make that start against perhaps the best defense in NFL history. Bad as he was, it's safe to say they had something to do with it.

3. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

I cannot believe nobody is mentioning Joe Kapp.

4. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

This thread made me wonder, what is worse for fans of a certain team? Taking a qb in the first round who generally was a bust but got your team got to the Super Bowl with him (Eason and Grossman) OR having the superstar QB who couldn't get you to the game (Dan Fouts, Phillip Rivers)?

5. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

AT THE TIME HE PLAYED IN THE GAME, Johnny Unitas may have been the worst, in Super Bowl V. He was a mere shadow of his former greatness.

6. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

Kind of a tangent, but how many quarterbacks who were considered back-ups heading into the season have started Super Bowls?

I know Tom Brady, Kurt Warner, Jeff Hostetler and Doug Williams would be in this category.

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Earl Morrall was considered a backup in 1968. Hard as this one is to believe, Roger Staubach was a backup to Craig Morton before the start of the 1971 season, the one where Tom Landry had the unique idea of alternating starts with his quarterbacks. Unique does not imply good.

8. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I wouldn't trade the awesomeness of the 2006 season for the world. But watching the Bears lose, especially the way they did, completely negated everything good the team did for about two months. About the start of baseball season the fog finally lifted. I wouldn't go so far as to say I would rather the Bears didn't make it (mostly because my viewing experience for the NFC title game was personally meaningful), but in a vacuum, it's a tossup if you pose the question to me.

9. Joe Gilliam started the '74 season before giving way to Bradshaw six games in.

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Plunkett I think started the season on the bench, as did Terry Bradshaw in 1974.

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Yes, Plunkett in 1980 came in after Dan Pastorini broke his leg to the delight of Raiders fans, who cheered vociferously when it happened.

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Because they hated Pastorini, or they were just delighted to see a broken leg?

Draft saved Draft deleted