1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Worst QB to play in a Super Bowl?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Feb 6, 2012.

1. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Woodley. He did nothing after the early bomb to Jimmy Cefalo. Miami's other TD came on a Fulton Walker kickoff return.
    Surprised Tony Eason hasn't gotten some love (?) here. Aside from his '86 season, he brought little to Patriot Nation - the '85 Super Bowl run was built on running and defense.

2. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Don McNeal wishes Woodley had just made a couple of more plays. (Instead its Riggins/McNeal forever.)

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Jake Delhomme wonders who intercepted his spot in this discussion.

4. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

I'm surprised some of the Steeler haters haven't come up with Neil O'Donnell.

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Damn, you are right. Then Terry started connecting deep to Swanny and Stallworth.

6. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

This Super Bowl QB had a career 65.5 QB rating, threw 47 more INTs than TDs, had a career 50.1% career completion percentage. He also had more seasons completing under 50% than over. He also lost more games than he started. 5 times he threw more than 20 INTs in a season, yet only had 2 seasons where he threw more than 20 TD passes.

Hint: Drafted by the St Louis Cardinals in the 1st round.

Name that QB

7. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I guarantee I know the answer.

8. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I knew the hint was a give away

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

If you're talking about just their performance as a starter the Super Bowl (thus ignoring backups like Gale Gilbert and Norris Weese), it's got to be Craig Morton.
    As bad as Woodley was in SB XVII (4-14, 97 yds -- 76 on a pass in the first quarter -- 1 TD, 1 INT), Morton was worse in not one but TWO Super Bowls.
    Morton in SB XII: 4-14, 39 yds, 0 TD, 4 INT
    Morton in SB V: 12-26, 127 yards, 1 TD, 3 INT

If you're taking into account the entire career, I'd put Woodley or Tony Eason atop the heap. Morton's career numbers are at least average, and he had to be doing something right during the regular season to get two different teams to the Super Bowl.

10. joe king

joe king Active Member

Difference is, Woodley played after the rules were loosened.

11. Hanratty took snaps after Bradshaw went down. Would rate him above Weese. Gilliam sat on the bench for both Super Bowls he was active (IX and X). Didn't even play as a holder, etc.

I'd take Weese as the worst to take snaps. I'll take Morton's as the worst performance with some strong competition from Eason, Woodley and Collins.

12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Great pull.

Hanratty's career passer rating was a chilly 43.0 while Weese was a balmy 66.9.

Draft saved Draft deleted