1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Worst professional sports town in America

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by printdust, May 4, 2007.

?

This has to do with the public fan intelligence, the support for the teams...anything not including

1. New York

13 vote(s)
    12.5%
  2. Los Angeles

20 vote(s)
    19.2%
  3. San Fran

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Baltimore-Washington

5 vote(s)
    4.8%
  5. Chicago

4 vote(s)
    3.8%
  6. Atlanta

52 vote(s)
    50.0%
  7. Dallas/FW

13 vote(s)
    12.5%
  8. Denver

1 vote(s)
    1.0%
  9. Detroit

6 vote(s)
    5.8%
  10. Miami

22 vote(s)
    21.2%
  11. Minneapolis-St Paul

1 vote(s)
    1.0%
  12. Philly

21 vote(s)
    20.2%
  13. Phoenix

5 vote(s)
    4.8%
  14. Cleveland

6 vote(s)
    5.8%
  15. Houston

7 vote(s)
    6.7%
  16. Seattle

3 vote(s)
    2.9%
  17. Pittsburgh

3 vote(s)
    2.9%
  18. St. Louis

6 vote(s)
    5.8%
  19. Tampa

8 vote(s)
    7.7%
  20. Cincinnati

2 vote(s)
    1.9%
  21. Kan City

6 vote(s)
    5.8%
  22. San Diego

3 vote(s)
    2.9%
  23. Milwaukee/Green Bay

1 vote(s)
    1.0%
  24. Charlotte N.C.

9 vote(s)
    8.7%
  25. Indianapolis

4 vote(s)
    3.8%
  26. New Orleans

4 vote(s)
    3.8%
  27. Buffalo

3 vote(s)
    2.9%
  28. Nashville

5 vote(s)
    4.8%
  29. San Antonio

1 vote(s)
    1.0%
  30. Jacksonville

9 vote(s)
    8.7%
  31. Memphis

11 vote(s)
    10.6%
  32. Orlando

5 vote(s)
    4.8%
  33. Portland

7 vote(s)
    6.7%
  34. Sacramento

2 vote(s)
    1.9%
  35. Salt Lake

8 vote(s)
    7.7%
  36. Columbus

11 vote(s)
    10.6%
  37. Raleigh

5 vote(s)
    4.8%
  1. CapeCodder

CapeCodder Member

Yes, because there are no other goobers who root for no other teams who have ever been captured on film. Ever. ::)

Oh, and you know that The Rick is a fictional character, right? And there's no such character as George Costanza--that was just a TV show.

2. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

[​IMG]

Keep pouting, Sox fans. Boo-hoo-hoo. You're always going to be the three-year-old toddler who dropped his oatmeal cookie in the toilet.

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

I would say Cleveland but they need a professional team first

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

my daddy taught me one thing growing up dooley: if you suck one dick, you'll forever be a cocksucker.

if you are an asshole, you'll be treated like an asshole. no class? i think that's up to interpretation.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Nice analogy

6. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

When you're yelling "Yankees suck" and your team is not playing the Yankees, you're not knowedgeable.

7. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

It's worth noting that every town on the list (and including Boston write-ins) have gotten at least one vote. Only Sacramento, San Antonio and Minneapolis-St. Paul get just one vote, the latter of which being the only multi-pro team region.

8. They don't suck?

9. As a proud native Atlantan, I guess I saw the Atlanta bashing coming, and to some extent I agree with it. Yeah, it's sad that the Braves can't sell out playoff games and the Hawks are a complete joke.

I've seen this argument before and I'll throw it out there again in defense of the city: Metro Atlanta has about 5 million people in it now. In the last seven years, nearly 900,000 people moved into the area. When the Braves and Falcons came to town in 1966, the metro area was at roughly 1 million people. So a good chunk of the metro area is made up of transplants from rustbelt cities and the like. I've been to Braves games where the crowd was more friendly to the Cubs ... because probably a 1 million of those transplants are from Chicagoland. In short, a lot of the transplants here don't give a crap about the Braves, Falcons, Hawks and Thrashers. They still support the teams they grew up with and only come out when the Mets or whoever are in town.

I'll grant that's not the entire answer. But I think it's part of the answer. The other part is the part that I guess gets Atlanta to No. 1 on this list - apathy, either because our teams have sucked so badly over the years, or in the case of the Braves ... winning got boring I guess. I grew up in the 80s when the Braves were terrible and we still watched and went to the games anyway. I was there in 1991 covering the team's remarkable run for my college paper, and it was the greatest feeling from a sports fan's perspective when an Atlanta team finally won it all in 1995. But, I digress.

OK, that's my meager attempt at defending my hometown. You may all return to the Atlanta bashing!

BTW - I voted for a lot of cities that are way too friggin' podunk to even have a pro team. Why do Raleigh, Jacksonville etc. even have teams?

10. CapeCodder

CapeCodder Member

It's a ridiculous chant, but I've been in plenty of stadiums where the home team has some sort of similar chant. Rangers' fans have chanted "Potvin sucks" for years. Maryland and UNC basketball fans chant "Duke sucks" all the time ... even when they're not playing Duke. I've been in Yankee Stadium when they were chanting "Fuck Tom Brady." It doesn't make it right, but Red Sox fans are hardly the only ones who engage in such dopey behavior.

And Rico, I respect you coming in here and sticking up for Atlanta. Not an easy job, but someone has to pick up for the ATL.

11. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

If you want to yell "Yankees suck" when the Red Sox are playing the Yankees, fine, yell it to your heart's content. If you're yelling it when the Red Sox are playing the Mariners or Devil Rays or any other team, you're an idiot.

12. CapeCodder

CapeCodder Member

I don't disagree. My point was that Red Sox fans are not alone in doing that sort of thing. Plenty of fans have that sort of misguided foolishness.

Draft saved Draft deleted