1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Worst professional sports town in America

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by printdust, May 4, 2007.

?

This has to do with the public fan intelligence, the support for the teams...anything not including

1. New York

13 vote(s)
    12.5%
  2. Los Angeles

20 vote(s)
    19.2%
  3. San Fran

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Baltimore-Washington

5 vote(s)
    4.8%
  5. Chicago

4 vote(s)
    3.8%
  6. Atlanta

52 vote(s)
    50.0%
  7. Dallas/FW

13 vote(s)
    12.5%
  8. Denver

1 vote(s)
    1.0%
  9. Detroit

6 vote(s)
    5.8%
  10. Miami

22 vote(s)
    21.2%
  11. Minneapolis-St Paul

1 vote(s)
    1.0%
  12. Philly

21 vote(s)
    20.2%
  13. Phoenix

5 vote(s)
    4.8%
  14. Cleveland

6 vote(s)
    5.8%
  15. Houston

7 vote(s)
    6.7%
  16. Seattle

3 vote(s)
    2.9%
  17. Pittsburgh

3 vote(s)
    2.9%
  18. St. Louis

6 vote(s)
    5.8%
  19. Tampa

8 vote(s)
    7.7%
  20. Cincinnati

2 vote(s)
    1.9%
  21. Kan City

6 vote(s)
    5.8%
  22. San Diego

3 vote(s)
    2.9%
  23. Milwaukee/Green Bay

1 vote(s)
    1.0%
  24. Charlotte N.C.

9 vote(s)
    8.7%
  25. Indianapolis

4 vote(s)
    3.8%
  26. New Orleans

4 vote(s)
    3.8%
  27. Buffalo

3 vote(s)
    2.9%
  28. Nashville

5 vote(s)
    4.8%
  29. San Antonio

1 vote(s)
    1.0%
  30. Jacksonville

9 vote(s)
    8.7%
  31. Memphis

11 vote(s)
    10.6%
  32. Orlando

5 vote(s)
    4.8%
  33. Portland

7 vote(s)
    6.7%
  34. Sacramento

2 vote(s)
    1.9%
  35. Salt Lake

8 vote(s)
    7.7%
  36. Columbus

11 vote(s)
    10.6%
  37. Raleigh

5 vote(s)
    4.8%
  1. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

printdust, seriously, either put Boston on here or get rid of this thread. Is the Boston/New England fan base somehow above everyone else? IMO, those morons are the most insufferable bastards in the world. At least the Philly fans have a legitimate gripe: they're the red-headed bastard step-child to New York and even Baltimore to the south has won more championships that they have in the last 21 years.

Plus I want Fenway to burn to the ground.

2. boots

boots New Member

Any town where the first and last letters are the same. Example ATLANTA!

3. I'm really surprised to see LA isn't higher on the list. To lose not one but two NFL franchises for lack of interest should be reason enough. Sure, they show up for the Lakers but do they really know or care what the hell is going on on the floor? I thought most people go to Lakers game to see the actors - sort of like the Super Bowl.
    Dodgers support isn't what it used to be, either.

And this is coming from someone who detests Braves fans.

4. It's never a good day until Buckweaver calls me dumb. ;D

I didn't know about the Dodgers stats so I'll take that back. I think the Davis argument is subjective and attendance had a lot to do with the Rams leaving. I think the city is at least partially to blame for losing both of its franchises, no matter what you think of the owners.

And Lakers games are as much a social event as they are a sporting event. Do you really think LA is a sports town?

5. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Yeah, I think L.A. is a sports town. May not be the best, but its a good one, and it's certainly no Atlanta.

And they have professional football. What do you think USC is?

6. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

I went to a Cubs-Phillies game at the Vet in '94. While I expected to take a certain amount of abuse, I did not expect two louts to ride me the entire game for being a Cubs fan, not having been to a barber in a couple months and sitting in the cheap seats ("What kinda fuckin' losah travels all the way from fuckin' Chicagah and sits in the fuckin' cheap seats to watch that shitty fuckin' team?").

Grouped with the tales of pelting Santa Claus with snowballs and booing Hall of Famers like Mike Schmidt and Steve Carlton, Philly deserves a spot. That's not passion, that's lunacy.

However, my vote's in for Atlanta, again based on personal experience. Buying a Falcons ticket on the street for face value the day of the game and getting a playoff baseball ticket the week of the game are inexcusable.

7. boots

boots New Member

Firs off get the story about the pelting of Santa Claus correct. Yes it happened at Franklin Field and even the guy who was Santa didn't complain because he was lousey. Howard Cosell went on the air about the storyand all of a sudden, Philadelphia gets a bad rap. Look at the shitty teams the town has supported. The people are passionate and will tell you what they feel. And if you got a lot of lip, you can get that ass kicked free of charge.
    Chicago is the same way. Boston is the same way. Those are good towns that support their teams. Nuff said.

8. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I'm a Flyers fan, and I voted for Philly first. Philly fans are generally a bunch of raging assholes when it comes to our teams. Being passionate is one thing, being a jackass is another.

9. Key

Key Well-Known Member

Gotta agree, boots. Philly's a great sports town. The main problem, to me, is the woe-is-us mentality, which is somewhat understandable, considering the current title drought.
    Just seems like they can't wait for something bad to happen.

10. You guys are so wrong about Philly fans that you've got me agreeing with freakin Bootsie, even if he is a poser. Shame on you and leave Philly fans alone for once and for all.

Key: We don't wait for something bad to happen, we're no worse than Cubs fans, Bills fans and other fans who after years of coming close are conditioned to expect the worse.

Chick: Go into any sports bar and you'll find raging assholes from every team. There's not a disproportionate number of Philly fans.

I guess if you see shit repeated enough on tv you start believing it.

11. Key

Key Well-Known Member

Write-Brained: I agree with you, you're no worse the Cubs' fans or Bills' fans.
    But then again, who is?

12. Oh no, fans booed an asshole crack-whore addict who makes millions of dollars a year while he laid on the carpet. Boo-phucking-hoo.

Draft saved Draft deleted