1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Worst Price is Right games

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by pffft, Mar 8, 2011.

1. pffft

pffft Member

I probably haven't seen the show in a couple years, but have some fond memories of rolling out of bed to watch it in the summer when I was younger.

What are your least favorite games? Either by degree of difficulty to win or ones that just piss you off. Contrary to popular opinion, I don't like Plinko. 1:59,049 chances to win the grand prize, which has never been done.

That's Too Much is also pretty bad.

Dice Game and Hole In One have to be up with the best of 'em.

2. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

That's Too Much isn't really THAT hard, it's just counterintuitive in the directions. At its core, though, it's like most TPiR games -- come as close as you can to the retail price without going over. Having to pick the closest one of an increasing line is a bit odd, but if you think it through, it's not too bad.

Lucky Sevens is the worst. You can miss four digits by a combined seven numbers, which seems obtainable at first, when you've got an $18,000-ish car and the first number is $1_,___. But even if you nail the first two and are sitting at $18,4__ with six dollars in your hand, those last two numbers might as well be random. And all it takes is a 1 or 9 to kill you dead, even if you guess 5.

Ten Chances is hard if you don't get the first two prizes quickly, and next to impossible if you don't or you lack logical skills/memory.

Punch-a-Bunch is pretty fun, because who doesn't like punching through paper holes?

I miss Poker Game. That's the one where you get four prizes, and you make the best poker hand you can with the prices of two of them. Back in the day, you knew the refrigerator would be $999, so if you picked that, you pretty much knew you were going to win. But I guess most decent prizes are more than $1,000, so that spelled its death knell.

Golden Road is great for the theatrics, taking a 35-cent can of beenie weenies and turning that into a $80,000 car or RV.

I think I need to call in sick tomorrow.

3. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Cliffhanger was great. You'd have a little hiker climbing up the mountain. It would go up for every dollar you were off in your price guesses. If he fell off, you lost.

4. pffft

pffft Member

I guess it just seems to me that That's Too Much isn't much of a "game." You either know the price of the car within $500 or you don't and then it becomes a wild guess. But I suppose, as you said, just about every game boils down to that.

Also not a fan of having to yell "that's too much" like you "mean it."

5. TowelWaver

TowelWaver Well-Known Member

I love Cliffhanger. The yodeling song is unforgettable...a wonderful juxtaposition of cheerfulness and impending doom.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The clock game, only because they allow the "one, two, three.." BS.

7. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

I'm not too much of a fan of That's Too Much or Lucky Sevens, for the reasons already discussed. I don't really care for Then and Now, either.
    I love Ten Chances. If you remember prices will end in 0, it's almost impossible to lose. If I were on the show, that's the game I would want to play.
    I also love the clock game. Your mind is going hyperspeed because you only have 30 seconds to guess two prices but you still have to be able to stop on a time if you've gone too far.
    Somewhat of a tangent, but I always love stupid contestants. You know, the kind that will bid $699 while on contestants row after the previous person already bid $700. It's the same type of contestant who uses at least eight chances in Ten Chances just to get the first prize.

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I would love to have one of those check from the Check Game. And Cliffhanger roolz.

9. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

Someone almost screwed up That's Too Much today. He misunderstood his friends and yelled "That's Too Much" on the first number. Drew, I think, understood what was going on and asked him if he was sure.

Then he waited two numbers too long to say "That's too much" and blew it, anyway.

I also saw a guy in contestant's row do the "I'll just bid a dollar more" thing a while back. The problem was that he was the next-to-last bidder. The guy next to him bid $1 more than that (so it was 700, 701, 702) and got the closest.

10. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

1. Plinko

2. Plinko

3. Plinko

11. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Holy cow. I guess I haven't seen the show in ages. I'd forgotten the games have names.

12. Double J

Double J Active Member

Agreed. Just awesome.

Draft saved Draft deleted