1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Worst possible start to the season

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Aug 29, 2009.

1. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

They needed a ball for the Kennedy brothers football game.

2. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

It isn't nearly to the level of someone dying, but I got a nasty bit of deja vu at the game I covered Friday night.

Back in 1997, I was covering a game where a player broke his neck making a tackle and was paralyzed from the neck down. The player has gone on to live as good a life as it's possible to live with only minimal use of his hands. He's married (to his physical therapist), has twin sons and is a lawyer now. Still, it's the worst moment I've ever had in covering high school football.

Friday night, a kid went over the middle to catch a pass, got flattened by the linebacker and didn't move. The trainers and paramedics eventually got him up on the back board, wheeled him off the field and the ambulance took him to the hospital. I was definitely having flashbacks to that earlier incident. Found out later the kid was OK, except for a concussion and a ligament strain in his neck. He's done for the season, but at least he'll be able to walk.

This incident had a good ending, but it was still a reminder that football is a collision sport and sometimes those collisions result in life-changing injuries.

Draft saved Draft deleted