1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Worst possible start to the season

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Aug 29, 2009.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

A high school football and a referee (from seperate games) both die on the opening night of Alabama high school football.

http://blog.al.com/spotnews/2009/08/lincoln_high_head_football_has.html

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

After a similar incident at Dora (Ala.) about 5-6 years ago (in which the coach was revived by use of a defibrillator), a lot of schools started purchasing defibrillators to keep on the sideline. Wonder if either school in question tonight had one?

3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

You figure there's one in the ambulance, if nothing else. And there's always one of those at even the Podunkiest of schools, never mind 5A Etowah and 6A Dothan.

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

In some cases having one on hand doesn't matter.

5. Yodel

Yodel Active Member

I believe there was one at the Dothan game in the ambulance, but based on our guy who was there, it didn't matter. The referee was gone right away. Horrible, horrible thing.

6. Pencil Dick

Pencil Dick Member

Tough opening night in Alabama

From the Birmingham News

Lincoln High head football coach Keith Howard, 48, died Friday night after complaining of chest pains at halftime of his team's season opener.

The Lincoln High Golden Bears were playing an away game at Etowah High in Attalla. Howard was taken to Riverview Medical Center in Gadsden and was pronounced dead, said Etowah County Coroner Michael J. Gladden.

Gladden said the cause of death was likely a massive heart attack.

From the Dothan Eagle

DOTHAN - A referee who collapsed shortly after the beginning of the Dothan-Eufaula high school football game at Rip Hewes Stadium has died.

Southeast Alabama Medical Center spokesman Steve Pearce told the Dothan Eagle that James Parrish died after being rushed to the hospital Friday night.

Parrish worked for the Southeast Alabama Football Officials Association for 35 years and was a Geneva High School graduate.

7. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

Reminds me of a story (true? who knows?) about a prep story that I was told made it into the AJC one time. Something along these lines:

"Bumfuck High School defeated the Georgia School For the Deaf & Blind, 7-6, Friday night in Bumfuck, Ga.

The game was marred by the death of Bumfuck coach Estill Fretwell, 67."

8. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

48 years old? Ugg, I gotta stop eating like crap (yeah, real easy in this business)

9. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

RIP high school football.

10. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I was trying to figure out a way to point out the omission without being a bitch on a thread about people dying.

You did it for me. :D

11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Who gets to say they died doing what they loved?

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I guess heaven was tired of waiting for an N.F.L. ball.

Draft saved Draft deleted