1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Worst political attack ad ever

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by D-Backs Hack, Sep 25, 2006.

1. shotglass

shotglass Guest

About Santorum vs. Casey: I've determined that I won't vote for either one of them because of the mud-slinging. I'll vote for anybody else on the ballot before them.

Casey's been pretty sleazy, too.

Swann and Rendell have been dancing around the mud, but they haven't quite gotten into the slop yet.

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I'm going to submit this for Ed Rendell's approval ...

Lynn Swann proudly wears his yellow Pro Football Hall of Fame sportscoat ... he fashions himself as the toast of the Pittsburgh Steelers' four-Super Bowl teams from the 1970s ...

(turn extreme close-up of Canton Swann to a black-and-white screen negative)

... but who is Lynn Swann trying to fool?

-- He never had more than 61 receptions in a season and never, never had a 1,000 yard season. In his nine seasons, he only had three All-Pro or Pro Bowl seasons. (Source: ESPN Pro Football Encyclopedia).

-- He's not even in top 100 of all-time NFL receptions or receiving yards. (Source: ESPN Pro Football Encyclopedia).

-- Swann sips drinks and saunters with movers and shakers in Canton -- but Harold Carmichael, who has over 200 more catches and 3,000 more yards, cries his big self to sleep every night longing for what Swann took from him. Even Mike Quick has a legitimate beef.

How can Swann explain this nefarious influence? Something stinks about that Terrible Towel, Mr. Swann.

Lynn Swann. He thinks he belongs in Canton, let's make sure we don't make him feel welcome in Washington.

I'm Paul Krause, Mark Washington, Bennie Barnes, Rod Perry, Ed Rendell, and I approved this message.

3. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Indiana's 8th District races have lost the right to be called "Bloody" ... now it's just bullshit, and it's bullshit that started in heavily back in July.

Honestly. The DCCC and the RNCC were running attack ads in fucking July for heaven's sake. And Bubbler, you must be getting different commercials than we're getting down here. Probably 95 percent of the commercials currently on air are not from either candidate -- they're from the national committees.

The one exception that comes to mind is an Ellsworth ad where he talks about the campaign being about moving Indiana forward, not scare tactics re: Pelosi and raising taxes.

The commercials are doozies -- anyone that has followed a lick of the news can see an avalanche of lies from both sides. Our paper's been running fact-check pieces on the ads, and it's gotten to the point where there's so many untruths that it's making the fact-check stories cumbersome and long. Just total bullshit.

Our paper commissioned a poll, the results of which ran over the weekend, that showed Ellsworth with 51 percent, Hostettler with 34, and roughly 16 percent undetermined.

The RNCC called the methodology flawed, of course.

In any event, every poll I hear about from people in the know -- including from one of the candidates himself in an informal conversation, has Ellsworth (the Democrat) up anywhere from 4 to 11 points, depending on the poll.

In other words: Who the fuck knows what's going to happen here.

One interesting thing that I've not seen in the past few races in the 8th District -- there are a lot more Ellsworth signs in Northern Posey County, Ind.

Now, Bubbler will say: Who cares about a rural outpost like Northern Posey County?

It's Hostettler's home soil. The last few races, including the 2004 race when the Democrats suited up a carpetbagging New Englander, have seen very few signs for the Democrats out there. This year? A bunch. It's far from scientific, but it's got me wondering.

And per your PM, Bubbler -- I don't remember the mayor's name, but it was a woman. Does that help?

4. Hostettler's the one who ran some constituents who visited him to lobby for increased research money for breast cancer out of his office by lecturing them on the wholly bullshit "link" between breast cancer and abortion. (Don't post the stuff. It's bullshit, and every doctor knows it. Just skip it.) This guys belongs at the Gas 'n Sip, splitting shifts with Dan (The Melon Killer) Burton.

5. shotglass

shotglass Guest

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

That is excellent.

7. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

As much as I admire Hostetler's work with horses, I have to support Ellsworth - he's beholden to no human cocksucker (and he had the mad social skills to hook up with a rich babe, too).

8. Dedo

Dedo Member

Terrier,

Very good point -- I was thinking the same thing. Although you wonder how the campaign is going to be affected with both candidates now deceased. I guess that leaves the N. General and young Sophia to run in their places...

9. Wake me, please, when the second week of November comes and the GOP still has the majority in both houses. The whinging from this site then will be an all-timer.

10. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Draft saved Draft deleted