1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Worst Player Ever, 10-Plus Year Career

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 3_Octave_Fart, Jun 16, 2016.

1. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Disagree. Blake could actually play, even had some years when he was pretty darn good.

First NBA player I thought of when I saw the thread title was Chuck Nevitt, who could not play at all, but teams nonetheless kept signing him to be 12th man year after year based on the flawed premise that a 7'5" guy who could run might eventually figure it out.

2. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I don't think most of those guys make the 10-year requirement, but yeah, that was a pretty dark time for all of us.

One more Phillies threadjack, and then I'm done: There should be (dis)honorable mention for guys who had long, decent careers but sucked with the team that gave them the splashiest contract. Exhibit A and B being Lance Parrish and Danny Tartabull.

3. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

My football player is Dave Brown, the Duke quarterback who personified a bad era of Giants football.
    This was dude who was starting for a team four years after it won a Super Bowl.

4. MisterCreosote

I don't know. "Good" is kind of stretching it. He had two "serviceable" years in Portland, I guess.

I didn't think the ability to bring the ball up without dribbling it off your foot would translate into a 13-year NBA career, but good for him. And, he's not done yet.

5. RubberSoul1979

RubberSoul1979 Active Member

Recent success at Dartmouth has Buddy Teevens enjoying some of the best times in his 27 years head coaching experience. But his FBS record is downright terrible. He went Tulane 11-45 from 1992-96, only to direct Stanford (10-23 from 2002-04) to some rough, rough days. Some coaches are meticulous planners. With him, I've never covered a coach who was so adept at explaining details after-the-fact (a loss, in most cases).

Of course, a career's worth of mediocrity can be just that: A long career. If there was ever a coach to punt on third down (in 2006), it would be a guy like Walt Harris: 69-85 (.448) in 14 seasons as an FBS head coach.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 16, 2016
  6. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Wasn't LeMaster the guy who lost the tip of his finger on his throwing hand? And I think I remember him getting pissed off at all the media criticism and announcing he was no longer talking to the media. Then he got hurt and wanted to sit in the press box. He was on the Giants then.

7. RubberSoul1979

RubberSoul1979 Active Member

Literally, a poor man's Kerry Collins.

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I submit to you one Paul Fisher, albeit his career didn't even last 10 minutes, much less 10 years. Supposedly, he wasn't even a wrestler, but he was some band musician who was performing a couple of nights earlier, said he would wrestle at the concert, and showed up at the arena.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2016
  9. MisterCreosote

If pro wrestling counts, Paul Roma is at the top of the list.

jpetrie18 likes this.
  10. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

I would not include Charlie Hayes in this group of stiffs. He could actually play a little. In 14 seasons, he had a career .262 batting average with 144 home runs and 740 RBIs, and has a World Series ring with the 1996 Yankees. He wasn't great, but he wasn't bad, either.

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

A lot of modern day guys, but I will go severely old-school and offer up Bill Bergen, a catcher from 1901-1911.

Lifetime batting average: .170

Only had one season when he hit over .200, when he hit .227 in 1903.

In the most games he played in one season, 112, he hit .139.

Bill Bergen Statistics and History | Baseball-Reference.com

He either must have been one helluva catcher, or he had some compromising photographs.

12. Earthman

Earthman Well-Known Member

Duke must have had a mold for these type QB's as mine would be Al Woodall. Drafted by
    The Jets in '69 and was Namath's back up. He was Dave Brown before Dave Brown.

Amazing that Brown actually beat out Phil Simms for the starting job.

Draft saved Draft deleted