1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Worst Player Ever, 10-Plus Year Career

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 3_Octave_Fart, Jun 16, 2016.

1. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Twelve pages and no mention of Dal Maxvill?

He was a very good defensive player, but not good enough to balance out 217/293/259 over 14 years and 3,443 ABs.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2016
  2. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

I knew Jay Schroeder and followed his career. He threw for 4,000 yards one season and totaled about 20,000 yards over his 10 seasons, so averaging about 2,000 a season. But his TD-INT ratio is horribly even. He played baseball, too. Two years in a row during his time in the minors, he led the league in strikeouts. Problem was, he wasn't a pitcher, he was a catcher. He led the league in being struck out.

3. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

First-round pick of the Blue Jays in 1979, a bad pick in a bad draft year for my Jays.

4. Also had one of the strongest arms of an NFL QB.

5. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

I was invited to Schroeder's signing by his family when he inked with the Blue Jays. I interviewed Pat Gillick that day. The Jays had also drafted and signed Danny Ainge. Schroeder always fell behind at UCLA because he missed spring practice to play baseball. But by the time they got into fall practice, he earned the starting job ahead of Tom Ramsey (who could also be included in this topic). But Schroeder left and Ramsey became a great QB for the Bruins.

6. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Many of you are not very good at this game.

7. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Michelle Wie won a major, and is still just 26. Freddy Adu is just 27, but can't even play in the MLS. Although wouldn't doubt he is a couple years older.

8. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Michelle Wie was considered a "failure" because a.) she was hyped as the female Tiger and b.) her people (her dad) pushed her to compete in the men's events early on.

9. +1

Draft saved Draft deleted