1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Worst Owners in Sports (past and present)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DanOregon, Oct 14, 2009.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The Limbaugh thread made me think of some of the ethically-challenged and morally bankrupt people that actually did get their mitts on a franchise. Figure the owners who just run crappy franchises is pretty evident.

Here's five off the top of my head.

Bruce McNall - financed buying the LA Kings by smuggling coins.
    Eddie DeBartolo - the guy was a great owner for the team on the field - but just not the most upstanding citizen, according to at least one waitress.
    George Steinbrenner - convicted of illegal contributions to Nixon
    Leonard Tose - Yeah, no problem with an NFL owner piling up $20 million in gambling debts
    Rick Hendrick - Convicted of mail fraud for bribing Honda to give him more cars than other dealers.

2. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

While I think the Pirates are heading in the right direction, I'd have to put Bob Nutting up there.

But Kevin McClatchy, even though he helped keep the team in Pittsburgh, is more responsible for the team's string of losing.

3. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

Marge Schott. Complaining about the delay when an umpire dies on Opening Day. Also for being a racist hosebag.

Tom Werner with the late 80s-early 90s Padres. Total douchebag who wrecked the franchise for years.

Art Modell ... Self-explanatory.

4. Sleeper

Sleeper Member

Bob Irsay. How do you move the Baltimore Colts?

5. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

You back up the moving vans in the middle of the night, of course ... :D

6. DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds Guest

Hugh Culverhouse. Need I say more?

7. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

George Preston Marshall .... worst racist owner ever.

And let's come out and say it: the DeBartolos had mob ties. Also, Carmen Policy.

And proving that stupidity can be a crime against humanity: Dan Fucking Snyder. I wouldn't piss on him if he was on fire.

8. Sleeper

Sleeper Member

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Ted Stepien

Andrew Freedman

http://www.baseballlibrary.com/ballplayers/player.php?name=Andrew_Freedman

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Not defending Marge Schott's racist views, her heartless comments on ump-death opening day (I was in the leftfield cheap seats, unforgettable day), the legendary cheapness. But the Reds won a championship on her watch -- or maybe despite her watch, but it's still one more title than most vilified owners -- and she never penny-pinched the fans (media was another story). Outside baseball, she was a very generous woman. In Cincinnati she was and still is held mostly in high regard, though the punchlines will always be there.

11. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Am I really the first to bring up Al Davis?

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. Sleeper

Sleeper Member

Great call on Marshall. It took federal action to integrate the Redskins.

And Snyder is the biggest scumbucket in the league right now.

Draft saved Draft deleted